Tracking

Guest Willow

Guest Willow

Let me start by saying I know *nothing* about dog sports, and there may be those who will point & laugh after reading my question, but, hey, you get that :)

My little SWF (no idea what breed.....rescue dog....looks like he was put together from the bits in the bargain bin at the dog making factory, bless him ;) ) seems to like following his nose.....

when we got for walks on the beach, and we turn around to come home, he goes nose down, bum up & retraces our steps exactly....nose in the footprint, intense sniff, then to the next footprint etc....he seems to really get into it, and I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to do with the dogs that will keep them happy & busy.

I was wondering how I could develop his ability, since he already has a little bit of interest in using his nose, and if there are groups in Perth (pref northern suburbs) where people can do this for fun (I'm not a competetive person....would just love to get together with like minded people & have a laugh with our dogs)....or would I get laughed out of the place as he is not your traditional tracking dog?????? :D

Hi Willow

You are so lucky to have a dog that is so into tracking.

Any dog can track whether it be a pedigree or yours that sounds absolutley lovely, but the secret is in knowing when the dog is tracking and when it is having fun.

Search for a tracking Club in your area, I'm sure there would be one.

Have a look at the Tracking Club of Victoria's Web Page, they have some great links to tracking help.

Tracking is the most bestest thing you can do with your dog. You enter the dog's world as the dog knows what it is smelling, we, as mere mortals just need to hang onto the lead and follow.