Mower Phobia - Help Please

One of my dogs has a phobia whenever our ride on mower, grass blower or electric edger is used. :(

If I am inside he sticks to me like glue and appears really quite nervous/frightened.

I know he has never been actually scared by any of these things and when they are being operated I don't make a big deal of his reaction - actually I just ignore his behaviour but ignoring it isn't helping at all.

He has had this phobia for quite a while now and I would say that it is getting slightly worse as time goes by.

It is interesting to note that he isn't a bit scared of the neighbours ride on mower and actually barks and has attitude towards it.

Anyone have an insight into why he has this kind of behaviour and how, if possible, can I help to reduce it??? :(

Without mower = normal, happy, outgoing dog!

With mower = scared, shaking, unhappy dog!

Wish I could fix it!!! :)

Desensitise. Work in small increments.

Mower off + distance

Mower off, closing in distance.

Mower on + lots of distance. Have your dog way, way away (off the property, if necessary .... but behind his threshold distance) when the mower is being started up.

Mower on, closing in distance very gradually.

Never push your dog to go in towards the mower. Allow him to progress at his own pace. Try feeding your dog in the presence of the mower (first, when it is off .... then progress to when it is on). Seek to work just on or a bit behind the threshold distance. Frequent exposure, but very gentle going is the key. DO NOT be in a hurry. Don't expect the end goal to be accomplished in one or two sessions. Don't even expect progress in every single session. Be happy to plateau and allow your dog to become accustomed to his improvements before seeking the next. Everything positive should occur in the presence of the mower (eg. a game of ball etc. etc.) Naturally, use common sense with what you do and when. Mowers are dangerous tools and a ball rolling under one could prove disasterous for a dog who is ball crazy.

Thank you for your response Erny.

The distance between the dog and the mower will have to be over 500mtrs I suspect which may prove challenging in itself. The dog only has to hear the mower at a distance, even if he is in the house and the mower is down the back paddock.

Any thoughts on why this phobia seems to be getting worse as time goes by?

Thank you for your response Erny.

The distance between the dog and the mower will have to be over 500mtrs I suspect which may prove challenging in itself. The dog only has to hear the mower at a distance, even if he is in the house and the mower is down the back paddock.

Any thoughts on why this phobia seems to be getting worse as time goes by?

Wouldn't know as I know nothing of the dog.

Could be

• Inadvertent reinforcement
  • The result of inadvertent "flooding"
  • Learnt behaviour (I act scared, I survived, if I act scared I will survive)

To name just a few things.

hey erny

i have a similar problem *sort of*

bobbi has always had issues with lawn-mowers *barking etc and attacking ours if able*

will your suggestions work in this instance too?

That depends on whether your dog perceives the mower as something which it fears, or something that excites him and thinks it's a game. But with this in mind, I'd be inclined to work a bit differently given the outward reaction is different. Obedience training would help in your case, and perhaps training him to (eg) go to his mat instead of going to the mower would be a step in the right direction. If fear is involved, then desensitisation combined with this suggestion would be the way to go.

Edited by Erny