Rubbing Eye On Ground

spanky

Hi

I saw Griff (french bulldog, 6yrs old) about half an hour ago rubbing one side of his face on the ground and just caught him doing it on the carpet.

The eye (guessing that's what he's rubbing) on that side is always more red around the inside corner than the other and has more discharge as well.

I did get the vet to look at it (in Feb) and he said it looked a bit irritated, but it was most probably something that would come and go and only to be worried if the discharge becomes excessive, eye extremely red.

Any ideas beyond this??? Should I be thinking cherry eye or dry eye???

He doesn't seem any different from normal, but I've never seen him rub his head in this way before. I only adopted him in mid-feb.

Erin

Hi Erin,

Paris does this daily-

she loves a good scratch on the carpert, but sometimes I find the folds on her face can do with a wipe.

Try looking in between the folds and if their isn't any gunk there- dont stress.

Its just when there is the gunk there that you need to worry.

If you prefer, just give the folds a wipe (I use cutton balls and the ear/skin lotion I have)- make sure to dry it aswell as any moisture can cause an infection.

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I would get the eye rechecked, doesn't sound reasonable to wait until a potential problem has escalated before it is treated. The redness is an indication of irritation therefore it will be uncomfortable, your dog rubbing it is another sign and will excabate the problem. Cherry Eye is commonly obvious, dry eye is serious left untreated. See another vet.