Retractable Leads

Ive seen a lot of these retractable leads lately. I was wondering how they work and if they are of much benefit. Dont these leads simply teach a dog that if it pulls it gets rewarded by getting to go where it wants?

oh ok but what it the point when you could use a longer lead and shorten it as neccessary by holding excess lead in your right hand. The dogs I see on retractable leads seem to walk 5 metre in front of their owner and pull like hell.

I have seen a lot of little dog owners with the retractable leads.

They are great if you have a smallish sized dog who is well behaved and doesn't really need a lead. It covers the need to have a lead but without the restrictions of the owner having to feed the line in and out when the dog stops to sniff.

Or they are useful when you are doing recall with a young dog (on the small size) - easier then feeding the line back in.

... but as I own a 60kg deliquent - they are of no use to me :mad

When I rule the world I will make large bonfires of retractable leads!

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :mad

OK, perhaps that is a bit extreme, but I really don't like them. To much scope for injury to dog and human. Also I don't really see the point. An appropriate relationship between the dog and the human should allow for sniffing and exploration with good manners on a normal lead.

If you want the dog to have greater range of movement I can think of three other solutions:

a) free run paddock

b) get yourself a pair of running shoes and up the pace

c) train your dog to have a bomb proof recall so you can walk them off leash.

It's also not necessary for a dog to have the same range of movement on every walk, it doesn't hurt them to learn a bit of self-discipline.

Sorry but I find the retractable leads really useful when we go walking in the nature reserves. My dogs can have the freedom to roam without my having to manage feeding two leads. They aren't allowed to go off leash there and I wouldnt let them off anyway with all the roos around. Plus they are less likely to pull me over if we are going up or down hills (learnt that the hard way). They can tell the difference when they are on the retractable lead and don't pull if they are on normal leads.

On normal walks though i use a normal cloth lead (or they are off leash). It's a bit risky having a 5 metre thin line stretched across a path that other people are using. Damn hard to get untangled from if the dog is really friendly too.

But I will add a halti to your bonfire.

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :mad

OK, perhaps that is a bit extreme, but I really don't like them. To much scope for injury to dog and human. Also I don't really see the point. An appropriate relationship between the dog and the human should allow for sniffing and exploration with good manners on a normal lead.

If you want the dog to have greater range of movement I can think of three other solutions:

a) free run paddock

It's also not necessary for a dog to have the same range of movement on every walk, it doesn't hurt them to learn a bit of self-discipline.

I have to disagree with most things said here!

If you buy the right retractable for your dog they are a GREAT tool if used properly.

You can NOT get rope burns if you have the flat retractable Avenue brand and use it properly, yes we are looking at $40.00 plus for a REAL Retractable lead for a large dog and they are GREAT!

I have 2 (Avenue brand rated for up to 60KG) one for my adopted GSD and another for my adopted Maremma and and we are all happy with them.

I would love to have them off lead at times BUT it is illegal to have a dog off lead here in NSW.(other than in designated areas) and I can’t have them free run in a paddock as there are too many grass seeds right now, so we are restricted to walking the stock routes. Of course I have and use training leads for when we are training but give me an Avenue Retractable every time when we are out on a relaxed 10k walk.

Edit spelling :-)

Edited by granny

You must have great coordination granny. I find it too difficult to walk 2 dogs on retractable leads in a normal environment - particularly coordinating putting the brakes on. But then my two are young and like to romp. Plus I have been tangled up in other peoples retractable leads a couple of times before - probably not the best lead for pups or younger dogs. I agree though that they are very useful when you want to give your dogs some freedom but you cannot let them off lead - especially when you have more than one dog.

So Granny, we'll start up a retractable lead rebellion when Anita takes over the world! :mad

As for the halti. I was told to get one for my little girl (to stop her lunging at other dogs) but it causes her such distress she cannot walk far with it on. So I will start the small dog halti bonfire with the one I got for her. :)

hate them and use a long line lead in semi off lead areas. Retractables are unsafe and should be melted down in the same pile that the choke chains are melted.

Did someone say "used with a halti" the mind boggles...poor dog

edited to add...

sorry Anita didn't see you have a bonfire already... I have a few more things to add too :)

Edited by Rusky

caro;

No great coordination just two dogs that do as they are told when they are told and have a lot of respect for me as I have for them but they are also not very young dogs a 2 & a 5 year old, I have never had a situation where we have been tangled. Our walks are long so the dogs are more than happy to just walk with me once they have had their freedom and lots of sniffs. I can’t say I have ever come across other dogs on or off leads when we walk so have never encountered other dogs on retractable leads. I also have 2 other long walking leads that have clips on both ends so I can make the loop as big or as small as I need but most of the time I wear them over my shoulder with a dog on each side and both hands free but close enough to check if needs be, these we use when walking to the local shops as opposed to walking the Stock Routes.

No rebellion wanted or needed I do my thing and let everyone do their own thing, I just like my retractable leads and see no reason why a dog needs to be in training mode at all times just as long as they do not encroach on other people and are listening to me then they are as free as I can let them be given the situation, believe you me these dogs KNOW who is the boss and have respect for the Boss :) Obedience trial material they are NOT ( I gave that up years ago) BUT obedient yes they are and a pleasure to have around.

Rusky

Horses for course, and the right lead for the right person with the right dogs ( my O.H. is hopeless with a retractable)! I did once try the long flat lunging leads BUT they are just too messy and hard to keep control of.

Give me a descent quality FLAT retractable any day, all you need is to KNOW when and HOW to use it. I would never use one in crowded places or when there are other dogs around.

What do you have against a properly used CHECK chain, it is only a choke chain when it is on the wrong way or in the hands of an IDIOT.

???!!

edit punctuation

Edited by granny

Can I chuck all the small dog halti's on your bonfire Anita? :confused:

Absolutely.

:happydance:

With retractable lead injuries I was thinking not just of that person who lost an eye from a cheap one flicking back and getting them in the face, but injuries to human shoulders and dog necks when the dog gets up a bit of speed. Perhaps that's more of an issue with my dogs, who are speedy. I earned myself a rotator cuff injury from being yoinked by my first saluki. Definitely my fault for not having her sufficiently leash trained, but the retractable also gave her a lot more scope to get up speed before hitting the end of the lead - something which was bad for her as well as me.

And yeah, when I see them attached to haltis it makes me cringe, particularly when they are not attached to the collar. :)

Can I chuck all the small dog halti's on your bonfire Anita? :)

Absolutely.

:confused:

With retractable lead injuries I was thinking not just of that person who lost an eye from a cheap one flicking back and getting them in the face, but injuries to human shoulders and dog necks when the dog gets up a bit of speed. Perhaps that's more of an issue with my dogs, who are speedy. I earned myself a rotator cuff injury from being yoinked by my first saluki. Definitely my fault for not having her sufficiently leash trained, but the retractable also gave her a lot more scope to get up speed before hitting the end of the lead - something which was bad for her as well as me.

And yeah, when I see them attached to haltis it makes me cringe, particularly when they are not attached to the collar. :happydance:

Don’t you just love the way some folk think!

A dog got killed by a car so lets BAN CARS around dogs??..... :wave:

How about banning the Driver NOT the Car?

I don’t Understand Stupid Drivers any more than I understand stupid dog owners:

OR..

A house burnt down, a child was burnt, Why did the house burn? A stupid person left washing in front of a heater! So do we BAN heaters in a house???

As I have eluded to before CHEAP Retractable leads are a hazard, added to the fact that the folk that buy them have little or NO clue how to use them!!!

Haltis! I have not used one but have always thought they were meant to help a person teach a dog to walk without pulling out in front so why on earth would one use it on a Retractable Lead??? Another case of Stupid People!!

I think I had better get out of here before I really say what I feel :)

Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :)

a) free run paddock

I use a retractable lead with Gomez, it has worked very well for us, and it usually clipped into a locked position, I hate carrying excess lead in a nother hand, this makes it very easy and convenient. He is alos 8kgs and pulling is not much of an issue - also, it's not much of an effort for him to pull on the lead to extend it, it's very light.

We live in the city and there are no paddocks available to run off leash, I wish! As for the bomb proof recall, well, Gomez is a terrier...

When I do use a regular lead is of we're going to be at a cafe or somewhere where we need to tie up the leash, then the flexi is useless with the big plastic handle - but for walking, I'll take it anyday!

Haltis! I have not used one but have always thought they were meant to help a person teach a dog to walk without pulling out in front so why on earth would one use it on a Retractable Lead??? Another case of Stupid People!!

Well, to be fair, it's often not stupidity; it's ignorance, which is not the same thing.

If no-one teaches them, and explains the reasons why, then it doesn't surprise me that they do it. Pet owners and newbie dog handlers often don't understand why a halti has the effect it does, they just know it's a magical device that people mention when they say they're having trouble with their dog pulling. So they go and buy one from a pet shop without getting it fitted and demonstrated by someone who understands the risks and benefits.

While it makes me cringe to see any lead on a halti not attached to a collar, it doesn't make me angry until the point where the handler demonstrates they're not going to listen to and consider the reasons why it's not a good idea.