Tracking

Can someone give me some advice on how I can get into tracking? I started a topic about this ages ago but didn't recieve many (any?) responses! LOL! I am now seriously wanting to find out more. I recently spoke to someone who does it, just by chance, and she suggested I ring someone but when I did, the person was very strange and acted like it was all a big secret and I couldn't know anything about it! Anyway, I just found the tracking club website and have sent an email to the secretary, but if anyone can offer some more info I would appreciate it! I am in SE suburbs of Melbourne. Thanks!!

Are you a member of an obedience club? if not, ring the clubs in and around your area and ask them if they do tracking training.

Check out the links on the TCV web page, they are a great help.

Go to the library and see if they have some tracking books.

I'm sorry the person you contacted didn't give you any help. That is not normally the response when talking to people about tracking.

Check out the calendar on the TCV web page and go along to the Tracking Trial. Contact the Trial Secretary and ask if you can go along to see what happens at the trial.

I did that when I was interested in tracking.

My introduction to tracking was a wonderful experience. the day was taken up with watching the dogs do their thing, asking questions of people nearby, listening to people talking about tracking etc.

Bev Williams is the Knox Tracking Trial Secretary and organises the Knox Tracking Trial every year.

I think Gary Roberts is also a tracking steward for the club as well.

Ring the club and ask to contact these people.

Good luck and happy tracking (if you can).

• 2 weeks later...

if your interested in doing a course in tracking NDTF (National Dog Trainers Federation) run a one day course, as far as i know the next one is in May. im not sure if that helps you at all, ive been looking into it aswell and havent had much luck. but fortunatly a friend in my town is hopefully going to teach us. :)

Well it has been a while, and still no reply to my email. I guess they don't want any new members.

Pick up the phone. If you really want to do it, you'll track them down. :) As a volunteer involved in running dog sports, with a full time job and training my own dogs, I know its possible to over look an email. People who administer these clubs are very busy people.

Be prepared to do a lot of work helping lay tracks for others - I haven't been myself but I know it's very labour intensive and you have to spend a lot of time helping others.

Edited by poodlefan