Shaws Royal Coatalin

Can anyone tell me if this is still available, here or overseas? I used to use it all the time now I can't get it.

Hi There, It's English and the coat dressing has been discontinued, unfortunately. :( I hope they don't discontinue the 'paw wax' as well. ;) It is great for indoor shows on slippery surfaces. I found the coat dressing a little bit on the heavy side for my purpose, but there were times when it was perfect. I have used a product from the USA---just can't recall the exact name---something like purple oil???- :) -yes that's it--it's a coat dressing for show cattle and comes in a gallon jug at a cost of somewhere around $25 to $30 now I would think and is or used to be available at saddlery shops or places that cater to show cattle. The last time I bought it, it was under $20. It's rather heavy in coats as well, being an extremely light oil so I used to dress a coat one day and let it stay in for the night, then wash out the next day. If the coat was a bit brittle and dry from too much sun baking I rather enjoyed the results. Badly damaged coats can have some low heat applied while you massage the oil in. If you don't wash it out really well with a good shampoo, it can leave a coat a bit limp, but it does come good the next time you bathe the dog. Often it takes more than the oblig two shampoos---or two refills in the hydro, to get all of it out. :p It would depend on how dry a coat is and how much is taken up and I'm sure it also depends on how much you apply, lol, a little goes a long way. It's rather like the 'hot oil' treatments you can get for human hair---a bit heavy after the first wash, but the next time you shampoo---you feel a difference in your hair. I wouldn't use Purple Oil the day before a show, but rather something I would use at least a week or two in advance to coax a neglected coat back into shape. Being purple you don't get the yellowing effects you do with blue products on any white areas. None of this may help you, and it would depend on the breed you are working with too. I used it on Saluki's feathering, and might use it on English Cocker coats, but doubt I'd want to try to get it out of an American Cocker's coat if you know what I mean. :)

If you leave it more than overnight, it just collects too much dust. :)