Puppy Mouthing With Puppy Fangs!

mason_luke

ok,

so after bringin my little stafford pup home on sturday night she has finally settled in and is less timid when playing games, she loves mouthing and play biting and with adult teeth im sure it will not hurt at all but at the moment with her little puppy fangs it a little iritating, ive always had adult dogs that i play a little ruff with and they have always mouthed my hand or arm but ive never minded it and think its all part of dog play, is there anyway to deter her biting to get her to ease up a little bit without stopping completely? at the moment i let out a hi yelp sound and she looks at me and lossens her grip a little, (quite funny seeing a 6"4 solid male squeal when a puppy is playing with him im sure) is this the norm thing to do or shouldi be doing something else, im not worried about it becoming to constant because she only does it when she is really revved up and lookin for a tussel, normally she just likes licking.. any ideas?

also what age to pups start dropping there baby teeth? shes only 8 weeks old at the moment.

ok,

so after bringin my little stafford pup home on sturday night she has finally settled in and is less timid when playing games, she loves mouthing and play biting and with adult teeth im sure it will not hurt at all but at the moment with her little puppy fangs it a little iritating, ive always had adult dogs that i play a little ruff with and they have always mouthed my hand or arm but ive never minded it and think its all part of dog play, is there anyway to deter her biting to get her to ease up a little bit without stopping completely? at the moment i let out a hi yelp sound and she looks at me and lossens her grip a little, (quite funny seeing a 6"4 solid male squeal when a puppy is playing with him im sure) is this the norm thing to do or shouldi be doing something else, im not worried about it becoming to constant because she only does it when she is really revved up and lookin for a tussel, normally she just likes licking.. any ideas?

also what age to pups start dropping there baby teeth? shes only 8 weeks old at the moment.

Any children at home Luke? I'd recommend you teach your pup that no teeth on you are acceptable. A simple "argghh" and stopping the game often helps but there are quite a few threads here on mouthing.

If you enjoy a full on game, I'd be teaching her to tug .. .but not on you! :laugh:

ok,

Any children at home Luke? I'd recommend you teach your pup that no teeth on you are acceptable. A simple "argghh" and stopping the game often helps but there are quite a few threads here on mouthing.

If you enjoy a full on game, I'd be teaching her to tug .. .but not on you! :laugh:

haha no, no kids at home, she does love tuggin and when she is in a bitey mood shes easy enough to distract with a toy of some kind

haha no, no kids at home, she does love tuggin and when she is in a bitey mood shes easy enough to distract with a toy of some kind

Substitute the tug for your arm. The Aussie Dog Toy folk have some very tough tug toys that should be Staffy proof!

The reason I'd always discourage a dog from mouthing is that it's far easier to teach "no biting" than "bite softly" and other folk may not understand if she mouths them in play.. .plus those staffy jaws are only going to get stronger!! :laugh:

I think she should be shedding milk teeth at about 4-5 months from memory..

yeah your porbably rite poodlefan, by no means do i want to raise an aggressive dog in anyway, i no she loves tug of war so im buying her a rope toy in about 10 mins on my way home to feed her, at the moment she loves playing toys but only if i am playing with them to, except pigs ears. shel chew them at anytime during the day

yeah your porbably rite poodlefan, by no means do i want to raise an aggressive dog in anyway, i no she loves tug of war so im buying her a rope toy in about 10 mins on my way home to feed her, at the moment she loves playing toys but only if i am playing with them to, except pigs ears. shel chew them at anytime during the day

I can't speak highly enough of the Aussie dog toy (have it hanging on our carport) we have .. our 5 month old Puli pup LOVES it!! lots of things to chew (legitimate) and rotate the toys .. you may need a basket full but better than your skin or your possessions I reckon .. worth the investment. We put out about 4 each day .. so 4 x 4 sets ... $$$ but it ain't the couch, chair, kids toys or personal possessions which are worth much more .. as well as the stress and grief :laugh:

Our pup turned 5 months on Sat and a week ago she lost about 4 or 5 of her top teeth and within the space of 24 hours had 'knobs' of her adult teeth showin g... needless to say the mouthing went up and so I countered that with lots of chew toys, the Aussie Dog for her to play tug of war with (we don't play this game with her) also frozen chicken necks for the teeth/gums. different biscuits/chew bones, greenie bones etc ..I let her choose one at night to gnaw on) and putting her breakfast in a treat ball and freexing it overnight .. gives her something mentally stimulating to do as well as keep her mouth occupied trying to get her brekkie.

Our Puli also likes a cold carrot .. I kid you not! Try snapping a carrot in half and see what your dog does .. Noodle loves chewing on it .. makes a hell of a mess of the kitchen floor but .. again ... better the carrot than us I reckon. :laugh: Our breeder used to give her Puli carrot too ... perhaps your pup would chew on them too?

wild, carrot you say, thats crazy! i think she will eat mostly anything, i bought her a tug rope ball and she loves playing with it, when she was chewing last night i just played tug with her and she was happy as anything, she gets tangled in it haha its hilarious to watch!

Dog teeth on human skin in any form is not allowed in this household !

The more you excite a pup, by playing tug/chasey etc, the more likely it is(IMO) to forget the rules, and nip/mouth.

I would also recommend KONGS/treatballs full of food, with some treats as well..that way she can mouth/play with it, AND get food, too :(

Edited by persephone

Dog on human skin in any form is not allowed in this household !

The more you excite a pup, by playing tug/chasey etc, the more likely it is(IMO) to forget the rules, and nip/mouth.

I would also recommend KONGS/treatballs full of food, with some treats as well..that way she can mouth/play with it, AND get food, too ;)

Have to agree Persephone on the mouthing. We have two children 10 and 6 and our pup is not allowed to use her mouth .. no mouth = play, mouth = one lonely pup, same goes for four paws on the floor. I am very aware as we also have young nephews and nieces and I don't want them to have a bad experience with Noodle .. hence no tug of war with us only the Aussie dog toy. We also learnt a valuble lesson from the sibe that we had well prior to kids .. he was gorgeous but jumped .. not good for the grandmother her adored him but she was 86! Also not good to have a mouther with an elderly person with paper thin skin.

The Aussie Dog tug toy hangs from the carport and has a rattle ball on it that can be filled with dry foor .. the more 'violent' they tug on it the more treats come popping out. Our pup loves to play with it and it springs back and forth on the bungee. We also play lots of fetch which she loves (depends on your dog though .. our sibe would never fetch anything ... just run ... and run and run ... LOL :( )

To be honest the Kongs haven't really worked for us .. too hard for our pup to get into .. hence using different treat balls .. need to go hunting through different pet stores. :rofl:

Dog on human skin in any form is not allowed in this household !

I tend to agree on this. Our most recent baby, who is now 6 months old, a Ridgeback, has been the most rambunctious of the lot so far - and was an absolute terror with her milk teeth at first, it took us ages and ages to get her out of the biting habit. We persisted and persisted with the yelping and turning away, and it finally started to work. Then along came her adult teeth at 5 months - it seemed as though every day there was another one or two out and more big ones coming through. So, back to the yelping and also 'time out' - a lot of time out when she gets overexcited and forgets about not biting.

I have heard that playing with a tug toy on a pup that hasn't learnt bite inhibition can be one of the worst things, and I'm beginning to wonder if it is true, as our girl just wanted to tug on everything, and maybe this is why it has taken a bit longer to get her to stop biting!

Still, she is becoming more angelic with each day ;)

On toys, the Kongs didn't really work for us - once she worked out how she could easily chuck them in the air and have treats scatter, she lost interest.

The best things we found were - a plastic drink bottle, 1L milk bottle, dried out thoroughly, filled with some dry food. Nice and noisy, and quite challenging to try and get into. she thought she was pretty cool when she figured out how to unscrew the lids...

loads of bones & squeaky toys & pigs ears

Yes and the other thing to consider is with any form of play where part of someone goes in her mouth there is the potential for accusations by stupid hysterical or just spiteful people, which although ridiculous can still cause you and your dog a lot of trouble. There are plenty of wackos infesting public parks who will assume any dog is a ferocious killer unless it is small white and fluffy.

The best things we found were - a plastic drink bottle, 1L milk bottle, dried out thoroughly, filled with some dry food. Nice and noisy, and quite challenging to try and get into. she thought she was pretty cool when she figured out how to unscrew the lids...

loads of bones & squeaky toys & pigs ears

CWM this is exactly what I did this morning (but did not add the treats) ... we take the lids off the milk containers and the 'red ring that goes around the top as I am concerned she will be able to chew it off ... trying to avoid the vet at all costs :)

Also bought her a new 'soft toy' today ... bought her a 'Bamboo play Combat squeaker dog toy X extreme" .. dunno where the squeak is .. looks like a bright red little man .. very tough ... she was starting to chew the appendages (ears, nose, tails off the sheep and the puppy and an antenae off her little mosquito!!) off her favorite soft toys .. will put them away until she stops the teathing.

Also bought a Masterpet brand 'Fresh Breath' large bone to chew on .. Mint infused natural rubber for medium and large dogs ... she has already had a chew . Also some more biscuits, (Science Diet Treats ... puppy medium bone .. chicken) and two dog treats (beef hide 4-5" from Petstock) and some Premium bacon strips also from Petstock (they look pretty hard and perfect for chewing) .... should keep her busy for awhile .. she is lying on the floor snoozing surrounded by her new toy and a chew treat ,.... all chewed out .. good time for the kids to spend time patting her :)

update

when she nips my fingure or hand or wherever i grab her bottom jaw and put a finger in her mouth and push her tounge to the floor of her mouth, i hold it there till she opens her mouth really wide, it seems to annoy her emensly and she has no control over it accept to not let my fingure get into her mouth! however you have to be strong and pretty resiliant to pain for this to work, ive only been doing it when she gets bitey and she will stop doing it while we play but then the next time she wakes up from her nap shes keen to nip again, so im doing the same thing,

i also say Aaahaaaa! to anything naughty she does.

also if she runs at me with her mouth open like she seems to do quite regularly i have a toy ready and jam it in her mouth as soon as shes within reach, she then gets distracted and plays with the toy lol.

mason_luke:

also if she runs at me with her mouth open like she seems to do quite regularly i have a toy ready and jam it in her mouth as soon as shes within reach, she then gets distracted and plays with the toy lol.

:D That's always a classic isn't it?

mason_luke:

:D That's always a classic isn't it?

haha yes i find it hilarious, shel be walking around sniffing or something then she shoots me a sideways glance and then charges with her mouth open and her back legs moving way faster than her front legs! lol