Drinking Shower Water

DeerhoundLover

My puppy rejects his nice clean bowl of water in a freshly washed bowl and instead he is drinking from the bucket we keep in the shower (for conservation reasons we catch this shower water to use for flushing the lavatory). This water has been used for our showers so it has traces of soap, shampoo and conditioner in it of course. Is this dangerous for him, and why doesn't he like his nice clean water? I wash and rinse the bowl every day.

Also, today he wouldn't eat his afternoon tea except when I hand fed it to him a little bit at a time, it's just minced beef that I warmed in the Microwave for 20 seconds.

Should I worry? Should I stop him drinking the bucket water?

Sorry if I am being a pest.

Hehehe don't you realise that dogs don't like anything that's nice and clean, smelly and gross is what turns them on :D My dogs absolutely love soap in any form and yours probably does too, if you don't want him to drink the shower water restrict his access to it by closing the door. He'll drink the 'nice clean water' if the soapy water's no longer available.

Regarding the food I'll give you a piece of advice, never, ever hand feed your dog, it's one of the very best ways of creating a fussy eater. How old is he? Some puppies quickly go off their midday feed and do very well on two meals a day, I stop feeding three meals a day when they start refusing lunch. If he doesn't want to eat just take the food away and offer it again at his next mealtime and don't give any treats or snacks in between.

He is only 9 1/2 weeks old and is very skinny, and I worry if he doesn't eat all his 4 daily meals because deerhounds grow really fast and I am concerned he will not have what he needs for his growth.

I suppose I ought not to hand feed him as you say, but I just get so worried.

Do you think the soapy water is safe for him? It's not that I mind, just I worry it will make him sick.

EDIT: ps he ate his breakfast and lunch ok, this is his tea at 1600. Then I give him dinner about 2000.

Edited by DeerhoundLover

He is only 9 1/2 weeks old and is very skinny, and I worry if he doesn't eat all his 4 daily meals because deerhounds grow really fast and I am concerned he will not have what he needs for his growth.

I suppose I ought not to hand feed him as you say, but I just get so worried.

Do you think the soapy water is safe for him? It's not that I mind, just I worry it will make him sick.

EDIT: ps he ate his breakfast and lunch ok, this is his tea at 1600. Then I give him dinner about 2000.

Shower water develops a pretty heavy bacteria load pretty quickly. I'd not be letting him drink it.

Whenever I have a bath Bree appears beside me and I have to hold up handfuls of hot water for her to drink. She usually gets it before soap :D

Maybe if he is being a bit fussy with food try him on three meals instead of four? That way he should be a bit hungrier by the last meal. Cherish is 7 weeks old and has three meals a day. Breakfast is about 6.30-7ish, lunch at 1pm and then dinner at 9.30-10pm. She goes better through the night having a late dinner. I know she is a smaller breed and her mum is still here but I'm pretty sure she's not getting any milk from her anymore.

Maybe if I hold off tea until 1800 and then give him a late supper before bed? I have been trying to avoid feeding him too late lest he need to shit during the night. But now he seems to have the hang of going outside, not that I would rely on that at night, but all today he has been letting himself out with the catflap.

How would I know if he was not getting enough food?

<Stop press I just realised something! Because Beau is a deerhound his little mouth is underneath, like a shark, and it is hard for him to pick up solid food out of a deep sided bowl, I put it onto a flat plate and he gobbled it up straightway!!>

:laugh::laugh::):love:

Stop press I just realised something! Because Beau is a deerhound his little mouth is underneath, like a shark, and it is hard for him to pick up solid food out of a deep sided bowl, I put it onto a flat plate and he gobbled it up straightway!!

Problem solved ;)