Lure Coursing Info

Have heard a few references in the forum to lure coursing. Would be interested to know a bit more about it. If there is an old thread I have missed, link to that would be fine. Otherwise:

What exactly does it consist of?

Is it open to all breeds/novices? What type of dog is it suitable for ie high energy, high prey drive etc?

Does anyone do it in the Sydney Region? Clubs etc?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks. :rolleyes:

Monika beat me to it :laugh:

Join the yahoo list and you'll be able to see all the dates for the year. I'd look them up for you but I'm supposed to be working :rolleyes:

Yep so am I!

Thanks for your info Ruthless and Monelite. Ruthless your first pic is unbelievable, hope you have it framed somewhere.

I reckon Jakey would love lure coursing. Would make a change from the ball!!

Thanks again.

Edited by JakesMum

Jakes Mum:

Have heard a few references in the forum to lure coursing. Would be interested to know a bit more about it. If there is an old thread I have missed, link to that would be fine. Otherwise:

What exactly does it consist of?

Dogs chase a plastic bag on a string that is looped through a series of points to form a course. String is powered by a little motor.

Is it open to all breeds/novices? What type of dog is it suitable for ie high energy, high prey drive etc?

Depends on the club. The Afghan Club run the one at Erksine Park and open it (bless them) to all breeds of dogs. It is particularly suitable for high prey drive dogs. I"d not do it with an overweight, unfit or a very hard to call/catch dog. The dogs run flat out over a course with the speed of the lure controlled for their pace.

Does anyone do it in the Sydney Region? Clubs etc?

Yep. Afghan Club as above.

One important thing .. it's a lot of fun. :rolleyes:

Darcyonlure.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Monika beat me to it :laugh:

Join the yahoo list and you'll be able to see all the dates for the year. I'd look them up for you but I'm supposed to be working :rolleyes:

Yep so am I!

Thanks for your info Ruthless and Monelite. Ruthless your first pic is unbelievable, hope you have it framed somewhere.

I reckon Jakey would love lure coursing. Would make a change from the ball!!

Thanks again.

In fact I do :D

I have the first, second and fourth ones in a frame in the dogs room! They were taken by Sue from Pinnicle.

I'm going to try to bring the poods up again this winter. I don't think Miss Lily has all that many years of coursing left to go and she does love it.

I'm so looking foward to the shrieking with excitement and yapping all the way round the course. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I love that about LC ... the whining, the screeching, the lunging, the pulled muscles in my shoulder ... you've got to really love your dog to go, cause you certainly won't have much fun!!! Or maybe it's just me cause my dogs are psychos :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I love that about LC ... the whining, the screeching, the lunging, the pulled muscles in my shoulder ... you've got to really love your dog to go, cause you certainly won't have much fun!!! Or maybe it's just me cause my dogs are psychos :rolleyes:

That all sounds right up Jake's alley! gonna have to find out when the next date is!! (and pre-book and appointment with the physio for the day after!! ):laugh: :D

Fortunately, Lil is the only one of mine that screeches. Darcy stands quietly until its his turn but he still loves to chase.

FHRP's Rogan is like your dogs. He's too much to handle in the line up. I usually hold his place and FHRP gets him out when its his turn.

Edited by poodlefan

I joined the group - its been on my to do list!

My boys had their first lure coursing experience at the most recent event and they LOVED it! Hopefully I'll be able to make it another few times this year. I have a feeling it coincides with footy...doh!

post-8523-1208941396_thumb.jpg

post-8523-1208941406_thumb.jpg