Questions To Ask When Buying A Puppy?

kyliegirl

I have been trying to write out a general question list to ask when I purchase a doberman puppy, I am not sure if some of the questions I ask are irrelevant or worth asking but I would love some help.

• Do you currently posses a blue litter registration slip?
  • Have you ever had a case of Wobblers in your dobermans breeding history?
  • Are your dobermans tested for vWD? are they clear/affected/carriers?
  • Are your dobermans also tested for hips, cardio and thyroid?
  • Do you do any training with the puppies before they go to new homes?
  • Are your puppies registered, vaccinated, Vet checked and microchipped before going to new homes?
  • Am I allowed to recieve copies of their health and vaccination records and registration papers?
  • What diet are your Dobermans and their puppies currently fed?
  • Have you ever had a case of pavo virus in your area or your puppies contracting pavo virus?
  • What age do you let your puppies go to new homes?
  • Am I able to reserve a puppy next year?
  • What is the price of your puppies?
  • Am I able to contact you in the future if any questions/concerns arise?

these are currently the questions I would ask via email or phone. Are they good or bad? should I change some or add some more?

While the price isn't a big concern for me, I would still like to know how much they sell their puppies for.

Edited by kyliegirl

Are these questions which you will use in your first email?.

I would get to know the breeder first before asking too many specific questions.

e.g. Are your puppies tested for hereditary diseases?

Most breeders if they let their puppies go at 8 weeks and depending on the size of the litter wont have time to do any formal training as such, just puppy socilaisation with litter mates.

A responsible breeder wont let their puppies go without being vaccinated, registered etc. If you are successful in purchasing a puppy then you should automatically be given the health records and reg. papers.

Unless you know of a specific outbreak of parvo in the area where you are purchasing from then leave this out.

I wouldnt concern yourself about their diet now.

Responsible caring breeders would be more than happy to be contacted if you have any questions at all about the puppy.

I recently purchased a puppy from NSW, she is being shown and I regularly send her photos and let her know how the puppy is going.

In your first contact, tell the breeder a little about yourself, your lifestyle, why you want a doberman, have you had dogs before, are you fenced, what you want to do with your dobe e.g obedience.

Specifics can come later :(

Edited by Hesapandabear