Flea Control

My Golden seems to have bad reactions with spot on flea control. When its put on he runs around like mad and then rubs his back on the ground trying to get it off. We started using frontline when we first got him, and his reaction was severe, in the sense he'd rub his neck for ages trying to get it off. So much so that we ended up wiping most of it off when we put it on. We swapped to Advantix after that, and his reaction doesn't seem as severe, however he has now developed a weeping spot on the back of his neck. He's going to the vet in a couple of hours, but from experience, has anyone had a similiar issue and later found something that relieved it. He has no other skin problems at all, and I have been thinking of stopping flea control altogether over winter and try again in early spring. He's on sentinal Interceptor for heartworm.

Thanks for your advice... I feel absolutely terrible that I have caused this sore on his neck.

ETA: Was on Interceptor not Spectrum as first written.

Edited by GoldieGirl

I wouldn't have thought you would need a spot on if you are using Sentinel Spectrum as it should cover fleas.

Yeah, sorry, he's on Interceptor, not Spectrum... slip of the fingers. The vet suggested using Spectrum instead of a spot on. Poor little man, he's had his hair shaved and cream and anti-biotics. Its really bugging him, and he's scratching it likes there's no tomorrow. Hopefully that will settle down soon.

Neem Oil spray is good for repelling fleas but no good for ticks so if you aren't in a tick area, try the Neem Oil spray - once or twice a week is all you'd need.

I don't use any flea treatment on my goldies at all - I figure if we get fleas, we'll deal with it then - but so far so good. I do however spray occasionally - when I remember - about once a month - with the neem oil spray.

I don't live in a paralysis tick area though so don't use all those other treatments.

Personally, if it were my dog reacting like that to any treatment, I wouldn't use it again - they are toxic, that's the whole point of them but when the dog has a toxic type reaction, that would be enough for me to ditch it and either try Neem Oil or nothing at all - and just deal with an issue if it happens. :(

Thanks for the replies. We'll see how the sentinal spectrum goes. Not sure about the ticks though. I've never seen any ticks at all on my dogs so we may be relatively safe, however I'll be much more diligient now about them on him. We had a major problem with fleas a couple of years ago, so I am concerned about them and do think I need to have him on something, just not at the expense of his skin.

He's still scratching at it terribly, only really started this afternoon after he had the antibactial cream applied. I hope it heals quickly.

Neem Oil spray is good for repelling fleas but no good for ticks so if you aren't in a tick area, try the Neem Oil spray - once or twice a week is all you'd need.

I don't use any flea treatment on my goldies at all - I figure if we get fleas, we'll deal with it then - but so far so good. I do however spray occasionally - when I remember - about once a month - with the neem oil spray.

I don't live in a paralysis tick area though so don't use all those other treatments.

Personally, if it were my dog reacting like that to any treatment, I wouldn't use it again - they are toxic, that's the whole point of them but when the dog has a toxic type reaction, that would be enough for me to ditch it and either try Neem Oil or nothing at all - and just deal with an issue if it happens. :confused:

Where do you buy the neem oil stuff? Do you mix it with water to make a spray?

Personally, if it were my dog reacting like that to any treatment, I wouldn't use it again - they are toxic, that's the whole point of them but when the dog has a toxic type reaction, that would be enough for me to ditch it and either try Neem Oil or nothing at all - and just deal with an issue if it happens. :mad

Where do you buy the neem oil stuff? Do you mix it with water to make a spray?

From memory here...... www.neemaus.com.au

Let me know if that doesn't get you to their website as I can go outside and find the bottle with the details on it. :(

Btw - I spoke to them on the phone and they are extremely pleasant and helpful not to mention informative! :confused:

Eta - you buy it already made up in a spray bottle.

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

Let me know if that doesn't get you to their website as I can go outside and find the bottle with the details on it. :mad

Btw - I spoke to them on the phone and they are extremely pleasant and helpful not to mention informative! :confused:

I only see the oil in the bottle. I cant find the spray anywhere.

I was going to buy the oil which is only $3 but postage is so expensive! So I would need to buy a bunch of products to get nmy money's worth.

Let me know if that doesn't get you to their website as I can go outside and find the bottle with the details on it. :cheer:

Btw - I spoke to them on the phone and they are extremely pleasant and helpful not to mention informative! :)

I only see the oil in the bottle. I cant find the spray anywhere.

I was going to buy the oil which is only $3 but postage is so expensive! So I would need to buy a bunch of products to get nmy money's worth.

Here you go Happie

http://neemaus.com.au/shop/index.php?targe...category_id=199

and

http://neemaus.com.au/shop/index.php?targe...product_id=1751

This product is cheapepr than any chemical you could buy such as Frontline, Advantix etc

:cool:

Edited by ~ArtyFarty~

For dogs with skin issues that can't tolerate the spot on, I use "Proban" tablets from the vet with no probs. They only cover fleas on a twice a week dose. It's daily for ticks and you need separate cover for heartworm etc.

Thanks dogmad. Will see how the spectrum goes. I'd rather keep it monthly if possible.