Macadamia Nuts

Broccoli toxicity has been noted in livestock. Apparently in California it is widely available at certain times and the dairy cattle there are fed broccoli due to this. If the percentage of broccoli in the diet exceeds 10% it can cause gastrointestinal upsets and if it exceeds 25% it is fatal.

I could not find any references to problems with broccoli in small animals, probably because no one feeds them more than 10% of their diet as broccoli or possibly because they don't have rumens and therefore don't digest the broccoli as thoroughly.

The toxic ingredient in broccoli is isothiocyanate and it is reported to be a pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant.

Mike Richards, DVM

Who feeds their dog more than 10% of their diet as broccoli? A lot of foods are toxic or cause problems in high quantities but are safe if smaller amounts are eaten.

Broccoli toxicity has been noted in livestock. Apparently in California it is widely available at certain times and the dairy cattle there are fed broccoli due to this. If the percentage of broccoli in the diet exceeds 10% it can cause gastrointestinal upsets and if it exceeds 25% it is fatal.

I could not find any references to problems with broccoli in small animals, probably because no one feeds them more than 10% of their diet as broccoli or possibly because they don't have rumens and therefore don't digest the broccoli as thoroughly.

The toxic ingredient in broccoli is isothiocyanate and it is reported to be a pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant.

Mike Richards, DVM

Who feeds their dog more than 10% of their diet as broccoli? A lot of foods are toxic or cause problems in high quantities but are safe if smaller amounts are eaten.

Mike Richards, DVM

Can anyone post a list of dangerous foods up please? I think Ive given some of the "dangerous foods" to my dog without knowing so would like to be aware of whats not good for them. Ive given my dog brocolii but thankfully she didnt like it.

Ham is another no no food Ive been made away of.

happie - look in the pinned topic at the top of the health forum - there is a list in there.

IMO everything depends on the dog and its size etc. I have had a poodle x spaniel eat a family block of dark choc and was fine. Same dog used to eat cooked onions and also devoured a large tandoori chicken pizza with mango chutney and made an attempt at greek lamb.

Angs gets brocoli in his mixed vegetables. Ham is fine provided it is small quantity and very ocassionally - it is salty.

Our Staffordshire also L :confused: ves Maccadamia nuts, she also sits with the kids while they crack them & gets whatever bits she can, plus the hand outs - hasnt had a problem?

Strange what is said to give dogs problems, I have seen dogs fed spag meat - with tomatoes & onions quite alot - with no adverse reactions, although I did advise said person of the possible problems it could cause - they laughed at me :) .... :)

So yeh its a confusing issue for me?

With the macadamia nuts AFAIK it is actually the outer husks and hard shells are what they shouldnt eat.

We have a huge tree in our backyard and my oldest lab loves to sit and crack them open. Or they wait under it for the cockatoos to drop them.

I did enquire with my vet over it - who also informed me that his dog also eats them.

Did say though that the shells can cause problems coming out the other end.

Guest Tess32

AFAIK they don't know how many/much nuts makes it a toxin to dogs but it has poisoned dogs in the past.