House-training Help Please

Kyra

Praise and treat him whenever he is quiet. Wake him up to treat him. Make his den a happy place.

How long does he need to be quote for before I treat him?

I am scared to go in and wake him up / treat him when he is quiet that he will just sook when I go away!

Maaan! He is having quite a sooky session is his pen RIGHT now! 30 minutes...

I've read various time frames to be quiet before treating...from 1 minute to 5 minutes. I'd start with 1 minute and gradually increase it.

To take your mind of his crying...GO OUT! Toilet him, put him back in his den, then GO OUT and come back in an hour. Ignore him for 5 minutes when you come back home. Make sure he's quiet for at least 1 minute too! So that's 5 minutes after you get home you can go see him ONLY if he's been quiet for 1 minute. Make sense?

I know it's tough to resist the urge to comfort but a small amount of anxiety now (for him AND you) will prevent a HUGE amount of anxiety over the next 10+ years!

Edited by Luke W

I know it's tough to resist the urge to comfort but a small amount of anxiety now (for him AND you) will prevent a HUGE amount of anxiety over the next 10+ years!

Wise words... I have all of theory in my head - but put in to practice it is a bit harder :)

Wise words... I have all of theory in my head - but put in to practice it is a bit harder :laugh:

Tell me about it :)

My little boy is 9 weeks as well.

He's doing all right on the toilet front. We crate him at night in our bedroom and he wakes us up around 4:30 for a toilet break. Toilet, then straight back to bed. He sometimes whines a bit, but I find sitting with him for a few minutes sorts him out and he's now quite good about the crate and will stay in there and snooze without crying while I move around the house. During the day, I try to keep him outside as much as possible. When he comes inside, he's either in his crate, snuggling on the couch with us, or pottering around the kitchen on the hard floor where it's no big deal if he makes a mistake. After a nap or a meal, he always goes out for a toilet break.

He hates his pen as well. And yes, the crying and howling is tearing me up inside! Someone suggested I stay nearby when he's in his pen crying and just not make any eye contact. I sit out there with my laptop doing computer stuff while he howls and carries on. I let him out when he's quiet depending on how long he's been in there and how much crying. If he's been really worked up and going for ages, I let him out after about 90 seconds of quiet. If he's been going on and off, or he crashes out in exhaustion, I leave him in there for another 5 minutes or so, or if he's asleep, wait until he lifts his head. I've been feeding him in the pen and doing some little snippets of clicker training with him in there and sometimes letting him eat with the door open so he can leave whenever he wants. I try to vary the time he's in there and trying not to make him just deal with hours in there right from the word go. It seems to be quite emotionally taxing for the little guy, so call me a softie, but I'm doing my best to ease him in. I figure, he got good with the crate in just a couple of nights, and he wasn't left alone during that time, so maybe I need to approach the pen in the same sort of way. We're on day 3 and he's definitely better today. Shorter crying fits and he's happy to go in on his own. He's also not crying much when I'm with him, so that's a big improvement on yesterday. I've got the rest of this week to get him good in the pen, because next week I go back to work, too!

Hey guys :D

We've made good progress since posting this thread, she now wanders outside on her own for a wee!! we were taking her out every hour or so and standing with her, rewarding her with treats and lots and lots of fuss afterwards! she still does the occasional wee inside but she's really getting quite good at it :) she's such a quick learner, she knows her name, sit and now also, to pee outside and she's only been with us for one week :laugh:

We are very proud of our little angel :o and thank you guys for helping us out with some great advice :)

Fantastic news Tashki!! Good on you both! :laugh:

My pup doesn't know to go outside by himself yet - he only knows to cry when he needs to go when he's in his pen.

If he's wandering around the house, he'll go anywhere if we don't watch him every second. He doesn't have easy access to outside - we have to let him out.

You're one step ahead of me on the toileting front now!

Hey guys :)

We've made good progress since posting this thread, she now wanders outside on her own for a wee!! we were taking her out every hour or so and standing with her, rewarding her with treats and lots and lots of fuss afterwards! she still does the occasional wee inside but she's really getting quite good at it :) she's such a quick learner, she knows her name, sit and now also, to pee outside and she's only been with us for one week :laugh:

We are very proud of our little angel :D and thank you guys for helping us out with some great advice :)

Great news. :o

I found the best way to train them not to go in the house is to get him into a routine, After dinner or any meal i would so to them ok i'm foe wee's and take them straight out after eatting and do it EVERYTIME they finish, It took me a while but now the only time he will go in the house is if i don't watch them or it's raining that is the hardest time to get them out cos i would hate it to wet grass on my bum......

I had the worst time with my older oug crying i tried when i got him to put him in the hall way at bed time but boy did that not work for me he would wake me every hour boy did i go crazy mainly cos i had to go to work everyday....

My pug cross boston terrier my "bug" his not bad like that i put paper down of a night in the bed room if he can't wake me then he will go on the paper or if he can wake me i take him out, other than that his the same as the older one if i dont watch him he will go in the house.....

Glad that you guys are having luck. Thanks for all the advice and support, he is not crying as much thank gawd! And very right that you just need to get him into a routine - I have mine printed and on the fridge to ensure that I am following it.

I think it's good that we can come hear and share thoughts, give and receive advice and even better - listen to other people's experiences - and know that you are not the only one!

Thanks ALL!!

I can see that you've made progress - well done.

We used the crate at night. Izzy had an accident the first night she was home but after that, she woke me up maybe twice through the night. I would get up, take her outside, she would go and then she'd go back to bed. It only took just over a week and she slept through the whole night.

She had a few accidents inside but most of the time, I was watching her. If she looked like she was sniffing, I would pick her up and put her on the grass, same with after dinner or if she just hadn't been outside for a while.

It really doesn't take very long if you have the patience and don't get too angry with them - they're only babies and only learning.