Hills Science Diet

I have found this interesting.

I feed Jake dry Eukanuba but he does also get half a can of the soft Hills Science Diet at night.

Is that as bad?

I rang up the pet store about Eagle Pack cans but apparently they are more than 2x the price of the Hills Science cans.

Does anyone have any middle of the road suggestions for a soft type food?

Hi Jake's mum,

How much is the Hills's can? If you are in Sydney, take a look at this website http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/products.php?cat=14 They carry Eagle Pack and another super premium brand Ziwi Peak. My dog lovesss Ziwi Peak both dry and canned. Ziwi Peak canned is $3.50 each or Buy 12 and SAVE 5%! ZiwiPeak ingredients are ranch-raised (free of antibiotics and hormones) with no colours, preservatives, fillers or grains.

Hi Jake's mum,

How much is the Hills's can? If you are in Sydney, take a look at this website http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/products.php?cat=14 They carry Eagle Pack and another super premium brand Ziwi Peak. My dog lovesss Ziwi Peak both dry and canned. Ziwi Peak canned is $3.50 each or Buy 12 and SAVE 5%! ZiwiPeak ingredients are ranch-raised (free of antibiotics and hormones) with no colours, preservatives, fillers or grains.

Yes I am in Sydney, the Hills can is about $2.65. We were told the Eagle Pack was I think over $4 per can ie nearly twice the price. I am not stingy about what I feed jake and maybe Eagle Pack would be better value anyway. Jake has a tendency to sensitive and itchy skin so I would definitely like to look at something additive free.

Thanks for the link.

Edited by JakesMum

Hi Jake's mum,

Yes I am in Sydney, the Hills can is about $2.65. We were told the Eagle Pack was I think over $4 per can ie nearly twice the price. I am not stingy about what I feed jake and maybe Eagle Pack would be better value anyway. Jake has a tendency to sensitive and itchy skin so I would definitely like to look at something additive free.

Thanks for the link.

Maybe try Eagle Pack Holistic kibbble and do away with the canned food, it's mostly water anyway... The fish formula is very good for sensitive skins and definitely hidden additives or fillers - it's more expensive than the Euk, but you feed less so more economic and better in the long run -

If you still want to put something wet-ish on top you can add some boiled turkey mince or eggs, etc...

I agree with what Tzu lover said 100%. :D

I also sell the eagle pack cans and they are about $5 each can. I know they are a bit more expensive than most other cans and i personally don't like can food as a general rule but i do think it has its place. If one where to feed some can food for whatever reason i would prefer them to feed the eagle pack because as far as can food goes it if far better than the rest. Normally you get what you pay for and quality just costs a bit more. :)

When Keg had his one and only bout of itchy skin that we suspect was a result of his 12 week injection that lowered his immune system, the vet we saw that day suggested we put him on the ZD formula as it's supposed to be for sensitive skin.

We compared its ingredients to the normal Hill's formula. There was ONE single different of some chemical sounding additive, along with many other chemical sounding additives. How could the introduction of so many artificial additives make you any MORE likely to identify what was the cause of his itchyness than doing what is usually done to identify a food allergen - MINIMIZE the foods and rule them out?

There was nothing that could convince us to put him on that stuff over raw.

Certainly is a wide range of feeding choices in this thread.

The info that came from the vet when the dog first got sick also had a list of foods dogs shouldn't eat. It included sausages, pet mince (lower grade usually roo mince rather than human grade mince) and eggs (and a heap of really bad foods like the obvious chocolate, cooked bones, etc) and reasons why not to feed or what organs it affects.