First Puppy Advice

PandaGirl

Hopefully I'll get some help if I post it in the right place. :)

Have recently convinced my mother to let me get an Aussie Cattle Dog puppy. Yay! Before I do the actual puppy purchasing part, I wanted the yard to be as puppy proof as possible. I'm looking at building her a puppy pen about 2.5m by 6.5m but I'm not sure what it's best to build it out of. I work in the building industry so I have some access to heavy mesh and things like that, but it can start to get pricey. Any suggestions? I looked at buying an enclosure kit from my local pet-store, but the area she'll be in isn't completely level, there's a step from the grass to the veranda.

What will I need to know if order to raise her as an outside dog from the start? Also any tips on Cane-toad proofing the yard and/or enclosure?

I'm also having a lot of trouble finding breeders of ACD in Darwin, there's a lot of back-yard breeders, but I'd much prefer buying from an actual breeder.

She (Daisy) will be attending puppy pre-school, is it better if I do it through a vet or an obedience club?

Anything else a new girl should know? I've never had an actual puppy before, we've always just rescued strays.

Hopefully I'll get some help if I post it in the right place. :laugh:

Well no one else has replied so I'll have a go :laugh:

Have recently convinced my mother to let me get an Aussie Cattle Dog puppy. Yay! Before I do the actual puppy purchasing part, I wanted the yard to be as puppy proof as possible. I'm looking at building her a puppy pen about 2.5m by 6.5m but I'm not sure what it's best to build it out of. I work in the building industry so I have some access to heavy mesh and things like that, but it can start to get pricey. Any suggestions? I looked at buying an enclosure kit from my local pet-store, but the area she'll be in isn't completely level, there's a step from the grass to the veranda.

My runs are made of ARC Weldmesh and have a concrete base. Make sure that your whole yard is puppy proof and that she cannot escape as you won't be able to keep her in a pen all the time. Be aware that ACD's are highly active and need heaps of mental and physical stimulation which means that she will need training from the moment you get her and lots of exercise when she's older. As a working breed they need a job to do and if it's not provided they're likely to become bored and destructive which can lead to unwanted behaviours such as chewing, digging and nuisance barking. Joining an obedience club and participating in a dog sport such as agility or flyball would be a good idea.

What will I need to know if order to raise her as an outside dog from the start?

You will have to keep her outside from the moment you bring her home, don't have her inside for the first few nights and then put her out, that will only make it harder. Expect some sleepless nights.

Also any tips on Cane-toad proofing the yard and/or enclosure?

Can't help you there, I live in Melbourne, no cane toads here.

I'm also having a lot of trouble finding breeders of ACD in Darwin, there's a lot of back-yard breeders, but I'd much prefer buying from an actual breeder.

Have you checked the DOL breed pages?

She (Daisy) will be attending puppy pre-school, is it better if I do it through a vet or an obedience club?

If you go to a vet try to pick one that has a qualified trainer in attendance, most puppy pre-schools conducted by vet clinics are run by vet nurses and quite often their knowledge of dog behaviour and training is minimal. An obedience school would probably be better but some won't take puppies until 14 weeks whereas most vets will take them from 8 weeks, you will have to contact a few and find out what their requirements are.

Anything else a new girl should know? I've never had an actual puppy before, we've always just rescued strays.

There are a lot of things you need to know. Your breeder should give you lots of information on feeding, worming and vaccinations, but a good book would be invaluable. I would recommend 'The Perfect Puppy' by Gwen Bailey. You will also find lots of info on DOL

Thanks for replying Miranda. :laugh:

Part of the reason I've chosen an ACD is the active part. I need to start getting more active myself and a furry friend who needs a lot of walking and running will help a lot. Also I love how intelligent they are. I'm really looking forward to the (frustration and) bonding that comes from training her. We've got an ACD X mystery coffee-table and he's the laziest dog I've ever met.

My puppy run will only need to be until she's about 6 months old, then she can have the full run of our yard.

I emailed our local obedience club about puppy classes, just waiting to hear back from them.