Nasty Looking Sores On My Dog

HI

I generally feed my dogs what i can afford or what i win at flyball competitions.

Last comp we were at i won Science diet- well my boy has broken out in these unbelievable sores on his tummy, inside legs and near his penis- i have been told it is because of the grains in it? He also has a dry coat which i am giving him fish oil tabs and EPO.

The last time he broke out- he only had a few and that was caused by supercoat with beef in it.

My 2 girls are fine- but what should i be feeding Alex- i have ordered a trial pack of Orijen.

Any help?

Thanks

I very much doubt that his diet would cause "unbelievable sores". Have you had him to a vet? If not, you need to.

Yes i have- the last time he broke out in these sores- he was put on a course of cortisone tabs (sp) and i was told to take him off the beef supercoat.

I don't know if its a good idea changing your dogs food all of the time, it's not good for them, upsets their tummies and all sorts. You might need to try eliminating the foods that are causing him to get those sores eg. High protein, grains etc until you find the culprit. The best way to do it is to start him on a bland diet, maybe even get some Hills ZD or Eukanuba FP diet from your vet then slowly add things, that should get to the bottom of it, its obviously most likely going to be beef and a lot of dogs do have allergies to it but it may be protein all together. Speak with your vet if your unsure anyway.

Another vet trip and then stick to a diet that you know he doesn't break out on.

I agree.

If you knew that he has food allergies (from previous experience) why would you change his diet all the time?

Poor boy, I hope he gets better soon.

Probably a good idea just to get it checked out first by your vet. If it dose turn out to be dietary again then i would find a good sensitive skin diet (that you can afford to buy all the time) You might want to try Eagle pack Holistic Anchovy or Euk Lamb and Rice. For sensitive skin dogs avoid chicken and beef. Fish, Lamb and Roo are much better sources of protein for dogs with sensitive skin. Its never a good idea to change your dogs diet all the time find somting that works and stick with that. ;)