Adopted Dog

hey, Me and My partner have just adopted on a trial basis his mothers 10yr old maltese x shitzu.

She is an old, lovely natured dog who is recovering from a skin problem and has been neglected and then over pampered and then neglected again.

She has matts everywhere and we are in the process of cutting out and grooming her. We washed her once using just the shampoo my partners mother gave us and then she and our 4 1/2 month old dog (which is the main reason we adopted the dog in the first place, to keep charlie the puppy company) ran through the back garden and got those black spore things that are impossible to get out in their fur.

We brushed and cut the major matts out of her hair, washed her again with the shampoo and conditioner we use on charlie and she is looking significantly better.

She absolutely loves the attention we are giving her. Charlie is a bit jelous but he still gets attention.

She has terribly overgrown nails, that are about 1 1/2 cms long, and are obviously causing her some destress, I know your only supposed to cut the nails to the quick but its so hard when they are so long... i dont want to hurt her.

Should we take her to the vet? its just we dont have much money (im a uni student and my partner is between jobs with a 6yr old).

She is also scared of scissors but needs alot of hair cut off of her that is either too matted or excessive, does anyone have any tips to grooming a maltese?

She is also overweight, we will be taking her for walks with charlie when the weather permits, but i need tips on dieting.

We feed Charlie on a diet of chicken necks, wings and puppy roll, and puppy milk and food scraps, but i believe she should have something more structured to loose the pounds (although im sure running away from our enthusiastic puppy will help shed them).

Sorry about the length of this post...

I hope that someone will help as we really want to show Goldie (the dog) a nice and happy time in her remaining years.

-Lynette

Hi,

I have a 10 yr old Maltese x Shih Tzu. I would try and get her to a groomers, possibly one attached to a vet would be good, just in-case she needs sedation to be clipped properly. I think you will find if you get her clipped right off you will have an easier time with her coat. You can get a tool which is like a rake with blades which is good for getting through the mats. I have cut my girls hair with scissors when I moved and hadn't sussed out local groomers-but its tricky when you need to go close to the skin.

Mine eat chicken necks and wings and raw meats like kangaroo mince mixed with some good biscuits. She will probably need her teeth checked. Is her breath stinky? If yes she probably needs a proper teeth clean at the vets.

Good luck with her and I'm so glad you have taken her on :hug:

Thanks for your reply, we're thinking about getting a groomer, she really needs the clipping...

She has suprisingly good teeth, the only that was well maintained (except for wonderful personality).

we're glad we have taken her on as well, i just hope that my partners mother wont want her back after she see's how much better she looks.

I would take her to a groomer as well. They will be able to clip back her coat and work on her nails. It may not be possible to cut her nails back to a reasonable length straight away but if they are worked on over a few weeks little by little they should be ok.

Is she microchipped? If not then get it done and her put in your name.

Yeh I'd take her to get clipped and just start from scratch. That's what we did with Barney and he was so much more comfortable without all the matts pulling on his skin. To get her started on her diet, give her about 100g of dog food mixed with a whole grated carrot. This worked wonders for my maltese x shih tzu girl, along with regular walks.

If you can come down to Rouse Hill in Sydney I will do her for $20 for you. :laugh:

omg, thank you shmoo, i have visted your website and knowing you do such good work makes me definatly trust you, I live in the central coast, so its a bit of a drive, but my mother goes down there every week, is it possible we could drop her off at 9 and pick her up at 5? thats my mums working hours down there... if thats too much i understand, Goldie is a lovely girl and is very friendly to other dogs.

if this is too much to ask i understand and i can arrange to come down myself in about 2 weeks (after my uni exams).