Obedience Training At A Club

My friend was a bit cautious about the club at first because they don't let you tell the dog "no" and he and his dog had to sit out one lesson because George (dog) didn't eat his reward treats. However he now can "see what the club is doing" and has stuck with them.

He also said he would recommend the club because "they show you a huge variety of techniques because every dog is different. So as a student you need to learn to take what works and go for the outcomes".

Your choice is up to you, but I thought some direct feedback may be useful.

WTF, I hardly think a club that doesnt allow "no" and outcasts someone cos their dog wont eat a treat is showing a variety of techniques

Sounds very very strange

Jey, this isnt a go at you or your friend, it is directed at the way the club works (or what we've been told of how it works)

Not giving a dog boundaries could be dangerous, and making people feel out of it isnt the best way to build handler confidence

No worries Shoemonster.

I think the not saying 'no' might be balanced with the philosophy of ignore the dog if it is doing the wrong thing, but that's just a guess. And that certainly wouldn't work for all things.

My friend was rather miffed about having to sit out that time, but he stuck with it. Now John and George just fake that part-John holds the treats out and George sniffs them. Sneaky buggers!

WTF, I hardly think a club that doesnt allow "no" and outcasts someone cos their dog wont eat a treat is showing a variety of techniques

Sounds very very strange

Jey, this isnt a go at you or your friend, it is directed at the way the club works (or what we've been told of how it works)

Not giving a dog boundaries could be dangerous, and making people feel out of it isnt the best way to build handler confidence

My friend was rather miffed about having to sit out that time, but he stuck with it. Now John and George just fake that part-John holds the treats out and George sniffs them. Sneaky buggers!

If your friend was simply made to 'sit out' and wasn't given explanation as to the why's and wherefores of it, then no learning occurred for either dog OR owner.

But hopefully John won't allow George's training to become reliant on him having to show George a treat before he'll do something.

The treat is a reward for after you've done it thing. Considering they just pretend to do the reward bit I'm sure George won't mind if he doesn't have to pretend to eat a treat after he has done something.

They're up to 'class three' now so they must be doing something right.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update that we will be going to the Dapto Training school--probably next weekend! Actually it may be the weekend after because we still have 2 weeks of puppy preschool left. I found a Delta trained instructor (an old school friend actually) and the class is wonderful. So much better than another local class MJ went to. I will probably take MJ (Lhasa who is 1) and Halston (Amstaff who is 4 mths) on alternative weeks. I'm excited!!

Later in the year I will book in a consult with Steve who will work with Coco (10 year old Shih Tzu cross) and me. She has some fear aggressive tendencies.

Just an update that we will be going to the Dapto Training school--probably next weekend! Actually it may be the weekend after because we still have 2 weeks of puppy preschool left. I found a Delta trained instructor (an old school friend actually) and the class is wonderful. So much better than another local class MJ went to. I will probably take MJ (Lhasa who is 1) and Halston (Amstaff who is 4 mths) on alternative weeks. I'm excited!!

Later in the year I will book in a consult with Steve who will work with Coco (10 year old Shih Tzu cross) and me. She has some fear aggressive tendencies.

excellent, we'll keep an eye out for you. Julie said it's not on this weekend due to people being away etc, but should be back on following weekend.

Is it the one at the showground or the guy who does them at Horsley Boarding Kennels(George Bertolli??SP)

excellent, we'll keep an eye out for you. Julie said it's not on this weekend due to people being away etc, but should be back on following weekend.

Yeah she told me that too. See you there!

Is it the one at the showground or the guy who does them at Horsley Boarding Kennels(George Bertolli??SP)

The one in the show ground. Wasn't aware of the Horsley one....

Yeah she told me that too. See you there!

The one in the show ground. Wasn't aware of the Horsley one....

Cool,another DOL'er at training.Will see you there,so which dog will you take so cwm andf I can track you down or maybe you'd just better look out for cwm's crazy ridgeback bouncing off the walls :rolleyes:

Because of Bouf's mis-diagnosed chronic lameness in puppyhood, he was 8 months & 55kg before we got back out to Obedience.

A very nervous instructor sent me back to the carpark the minute she saw us approaching (he was walking nicely on lead) & insisted I bought & put a Halti on him before we were allowed near the class.

She made me even more nervous than I was already, but I have to say that the Halti did make me feel more in control.

Not as in control as I'd felt about my amiable dog before I got out the car but more in control than I felt after he was treated as Cujo.

Bouf did make huge plunging play-bows when we were actually allowed near the other dogs

The Halti was useful then for helping me calm down & regain a bit of the confidence that I'd lost.

A miniature Poodle called Napoleon & his 8 year old handler restored most of the rest as they flung themselves on Bouf & adored him for the rest of the classes.

Bouf never needed a Halti or a lead in later classes ( after I changed trainers)

Halti's are probably great short-term for dogs who need re-training but I would hate to see them used routinely.

Lazy lazy as someone said.

Edited by bilby

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

Just an update. I can't believe it but I have actually purchased and used a Halti on Halston today. It was getting to the point where I was concerned with taking him out walking because when he wanted he could pull me to the other side of street with ease. We had an incident where there was a little dog up the street off lead and Halston was carrying on and trying to get to it, treats, walking the other way (more like dragging Halston up the street) etc did not work. And despite the fact I have been diligently working on proper loose lead training, using treats and praise which worked well I just did not feel safe walking him. He was not being aggressive but I was not in control. I could stop him but only just and it took all of my strength, he is only 5 months old :)

We went out today with the Halti on and apart from some occasional pawing, which he did with his collar he was good. We even went past a dog and I could get his attention and reward him. He did very well. We shall see how it goes. So we are still learning to walk but the halti i believe gives me the control back while he learns he doesn't need to play with every dog. More walks we go on the better he will be. At least for now we are back out walking by ourselves, so its got to be a start!

Still haven't made it to obedience *sigh*. Life is crazy busy but I am determined to get there, it will be fun!