Peeing On Outside Furniture

Hi, I my 2 yr old ( yesterday ) cairn terrier insists on peeing on the outside furniture on the patio instead of going on the grass ,this seems to occur mainly at night ( he has a dog door ) so he go out when he needs to ,or when it's raining ,I have bought various products to spray on the furniture ,which are supposed to repel dogs HA ! ,what really cheeses me off is sometimes when it's raining really hard at night he will pee inside instead of going out & he definitely knows better --he only does this at night when we are not around & in the morning when I see it & start to go mad he runs & puts himself outside ,HELP how do I stop this ,we are just coming into winter now ,so we are going to have a few months of this if I can't stop it ,as it is during the night I can't catch him in the act

Sounds like he's either confused about the whole idea of toilet training, or else he's urine marking.

Pending advice from the real trainers here, I was wondering, would you consider crating him during the night? Dogs are normally reluctant to pee in their crates, so crating would prevent the problem in the short term (and may help in the long term by getting him out of the habit of doing it!)

And make sure you clean the pee spots really well, so he's not tempted to pee there again due to the spot smelling just like a toilet to him. ;)

By the way - it's not likely the dog 'knows better'.

All he knows is that for some reason you freak out in the morning sometimes and he can read your body language and he's knows you're going to freak out. He runs to put himself outside because he knows it's the safest thing to do. He's scared and he's trying to appease you. He can't possibly remember that 4 hours ago he peed on the furniture and that's why you are angry.

Ditto what Amhailite said. Consider crating during the night.

Or get some fake grass, out of the rain and train him to pee on that.

when I see it & start to go mad he runs & puts himself outside ,HELP how do I stop this ,we are just coming into winter now ,so we are going to have a few months of this if I can't stop it ,as it is during the night I can't catch him in the act

He only knows you are cranky, he doesn't know that going to the toilet is wrong as it something he has to do. I would go back to basic puppy toilet training. If you search for 'toilet training' in the the puppy problems section you will find heaps of info.

Also check out 'crate training' for night time, this will help you greatly. ;)

I agree with the above post.

You need to limit the space he has available to him.

He pees on the outdoor furniture because he can, he pees inside because he can.

Either crate train him or lock him in one area so that he only has a small area to pee in.

Good luck