"thorpy" The Swimmer Poodle

Hi all - you may remember my post about my "swimmer" puppy. Well Thporpy is now 8 weeks old & walking perfectly. I spen a lot of time massaging & manipulating his fron legs.

When I had the pups vaccinated at 6 weeks I asked my vet if he could pick the swimmer - he couldn't.

A couple of pictures - he's a bit of a blob in one, but at least you can see that he's running!

Snowy.jpgBlackBoy23-5.jpg

Edited by poodlemum

Is he a keeper Poodlemum? Or have you found him a fantastic home? He certainly deserves one after what you both have been through!

I would love to keep him, but with 2 of my own and almost permanent care of ex's 2, haven't got the room - he's a real sweetie though!

A swimmer pup is a flat chested pup that doesn't start walking, and just kind of lies there with it's legs splayed so when it moves it looks like it's swimming (hence the name) - it looks a bit like a walrus really. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, these puppies die or are PTS and it requires a lot of physical therapy to put them right because you have to lengthen the muscles and tendons between their shoulder blades to get their front legs to get into the right position and so they can move their neck and head (or they arch their back instead of lift their head when they feed) and therefore, make their chest take the right shape.

I've never seen one in person but i've seen quite a few photos and had my breeder explain it to me when Poodlemum first posted about Thorpy - my breeder has only ever had one and unfortunately the little boy died at about 3 weeks old, even with her doing PT with him everyday!

That's right Shell - I think Thorpy wasn't too bad a case, & I caught it in time. I have been breeding Standard Poodles for 16 years, and this was the first swimmer I ever had. Of course, the extra time & attention has caused a special bond between us and I will be very sad to see him go - I do have someone living nearby who is looking for a puppy, so maybe I will be able to keep in touch with him.