Losing Protein?

A friend of mine in the States just told me her dog is quite sick an the blood tests show she is "losing protein" and it could be a liver or kidney problem...

Anyone know what this is?

The dog is Aussie/Rotti rescue dog

Edited by Gomez the Norfolk

Generally protein shows up in tests as a result of something attacking the body tissues (muscle etc). It is usually a sign of infection (outside agent causing damage) or can be autoimmune (body attacking itself as it thinks the cells are not supposed to be there)

Gomez, if the dog is losing protein from the kidneys, it will likely be protein losing nephropathy (PLN). If the loss is from the intestines, it will be protein losing enteropathy (PLE). Unusual to have a non-wheaten terrier suffering from a PL disease. If it's PLE, it's likely the dog has suffered from intestinal bowel disease or some other illness that has damaged the intestinal lining and then developed into PLE. PL diseases are eventually fatal but if caught early enough can be managed for a long time with diet.

Clinical signs (PLN):

* Listlessness/ depression

* Decreased appetite, vomiting, weight loss

* Ascites, edema, pleural effusion

* Increased water consumption

* Increased urination (less common)

* Thromboembolic phenomena & hypertension (less common)

Clinical signs (PLE):

* Vomiting

* Diarrhea

* Weight loss

* Ascites

* Edema

* Pleural effusion

Not all dogs will show all these signs.

The following tests should be done and they should *all* be done:

1. Biochemical profile, including:

* Total protein (TP)

* Albumin (Alb)

* Globulin

* Creatinine (Cr)

* Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN)

* Cholesterol (Chol)

* Sodium (Na)

* Potassium (K+)

* Phosphorus (Phos)

2. Complete Blood Count

3. Routine Urinalysis, including:

* Specific gravity

* Dipstick

* Urinary sediment

4. Urine Protein/Creatinine Ratio

5. RECOMMENDED but OPTIONAL:

* ERD or MA test for microalbuminuria.

If doing UPC, these tests are not necessary.

6. RECOMMENDED but OPTIONAL:

* Fecal API test

The relevant information for testing, even if the dog is not a wheaten, is on the American wheaten club website. The expert in PL diseases is Dr Meryl Littman whose details are on the US club website. She is really nice and very helpful.

Happy to discuss things with your friend, if you want to PM me. My wheaten died of PLN two years ago.

Thanks for all the info tramissa and sheridan - the dog did have "valley fever" about 3 years ago she just told me, I had never heard of it: http://phoenix.about.com/cs/health/a/valleyfever01.htm

The dog wasn't eating very much and was listless, which is why she asked me, and those are th first 2 symptoms...

I will pass on all your info and see if she wants to come in here and have a look

Thanks again

Generally protein shows up in tests as a result of something attacking the body tissues (muscle etc). It is usually a sign of infection (outside agent causing damage) or can be autoimmune (body attacking itself as it thinks the cells are not supposed to be there)

This is not necessarily the case with PLN. The mode of inheritance is unknown.

Sheridan, I was talking generally - those are usually the first things you look for when you have signs of excess protein, especially if it is in the urine.

There are many rare diseases (and taking that from what you have said) but you don't generally test for rare conditions when first presenting, as it usually isn't them.