Pup With Weak Pastern.

Cala

Apart from raising food and water bowls, is there anything else that can be done to help it along? it's not severe, he is 7 months old.

Would strapping it help any?

Edited by Cala

In my breed weak pasterns usually coincide with teething and they've generally straightened up again by the time the puppy reaches 10 or 12 months old. Some people give vitamin C and there are various other remedies, I'm sure you'll get lots of replies.

My breed is the same as Miranda's. We can see the pasterns become a little more slopey during the teething stage and it usually rights itself.

What breed of dog are we talking about? Is it both pasterns or is one noticeably worse than the other? Are you able to post a pic?

My breed is the same as Miranda's. We can see the pasterns become a little more slopey during the teething stage and it usually rights itself.

What breed of dog are we talking about? Is it both pasterns or is one noticeably worse than the other? Are you able to post a pic?

Border Collie, no photo available at the moment.

He is such a loveable, highly sociable puppy with temperment to die for....... I am reluctant to just rehome him.

He is such a loveable, highly sociable puppy with temperment to die for....... I am reluctant to just rehome him.

Cala I wouldn't rehome him just yet, dogs go through many developmental stages between puppyhood and maturity and 7 months isn't the best age to judge a puppy, especially if it's a medium or large breed. If weak pasterns are his only problem and you're pleased with him overall I'd run him on to at least 12 months. Did you breed this dog? If you didn't it might be a good idea to contact his breeder and ask what they think, breeders know their lines and should be able to advise you.

Cala I wouldn't rehome him just yet, dogs go through many developmental stages between puppyhood and maturity and 7 months isn't the best age to judge a puppy, especially if it's a medium or large breed. If weak pasterns are his only problem and you're pleased with him overall I'd run him on to at least 12 months. Did you breed this dog? If you didn't it might be a good idea to contact his breeder and ask what they think, breeders know their lines and should be able to advise you.

That's what I was thinking, I am quite prepared to run him on until he is at least 12 months old. No I didn't breed him, but he has my lines in his dam line. The breeders have been notified.... Neither I or the breeder have had this sort of problem before.

Hopefully he'll straighten up by 12 months, it's heartbreaking when you have an otherwise outstanding puppy and something like this happens. I really hope he comes good :laugh:

:laugh: Miranda........