Perpetual Motion Machine

clayton.lee

I have a 4 month Cocker Spaniel X.

He made good friends with a Pug at puppy school, and after a couple of play-dates we have ended up puppy sitting the pug for two nights.

He got here at about 4.30pm this afternoon, and the two have not stopped since, running in circles jumping on each other, barking, rolling, just having a puppy old time.

We had a timeout while my wife and I went and played basketball - our Cocker stayed in the bedroom and had a sleep in his crate while the Pug got downstairs with the door open for outside access.

The seem completely incapable of settling down for a rest. Logic tells me that eventually they must - but once either of them lies down for a moment, the other one runs up and starts the shenanigans again.

I am going work from home tomorrow to supervise the little demons, but tomorrow night we both have to be out for about 3 hours, and I don't trust our boy to necessarily be able to hold his bladder in the bedroom, which has until now been an accident free zone.

So the questions - will they ever stop and rest (logic tells me they must), and are there any pitfalls to leaving them on their own? They get on perfectly well, there is very little growling and yelping, just lots of running, chasing, wrestling and chewing.

whous.jpg

Sometimes like kids you have to step in and say "bed time". Yes the pups will settle eventually but they will possibly be so hyperstimulated by the play they will be exhausted and you may find that unwanted behaviours start creeping in like nipping, peeing on floors because they forget the "right" thing in their excitement. IMO you might be better off letting them play for a while and then stepping in and separating them. Sometimes they can even become stressed because they don't have an "off" time. Can you not leave your Cocker in a crate for 3 hours? At 4 months he should be able to last that long. Dogs/pups usually won't pee in their crates. I wouldn't leave them on their own together, that might be just asking for trouble!!!lol Let them have a good play together, feed them, toilet them and put them to bed go out and enjoy yourselves! Good luck puppy sitting!

Guest Willow

On a side note, how fantastic that after going to puppy school, you have new friends, both human & canine, that hopefully will last a lifetime.....just one of the many wonderful things about owning dogs!!!!

:)