What Slr Camera To Buy?

Bailey9

I'm also currently researching cameras. My budget is under $1200, so i'm looking at the Canon EOS400D Twin lens kid, Olympus E510 and the Nikon D60. They all look like pretty decent cameras... it's all too hard LOL

anyone had experience with the above cameras? all this camera talk has really got me sucked in... Im starting to think i may have to get one for MY chrissy present!!!!

I use the E-500, which uses a different sensor to the 510 and isn't image stabilised, but I'm really happy with it. I like the Olympus philosophy (made for digital) and build quality as well. I'd be trying to pick each of them up and get a feel for which is most comfortable. One downside of the Olympus is their smaller viewfinder, but I really don't find it a problem in practice.

Thanks for the feedback. I have only actually 'held' 2 of the models i'm looking at. In the meantime, i did about 6 hours of research last night and phoned friends with various Digital SLR's for advice and have added a few more to my list LOL... now i think i'm even more confused. Also looking at the Pentax K200 and the Sony??? A200. Everyone has their favourites. The Sony gets some excellent reviews, but my brother hates Sony LOL, the Pentax gets some good reviews, but my ex used to have the *ist DS ( i think) and my old 4MP Olympus took a better shot than that... different model, i realise, but sometimes it's hard to get past it... i was so disappointed in it. My own personal preference has always been Nikon or Canon, but i love my Olympus UZ... just doesn't function well in low light and sucks for action shots of the furkids!

Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks for the feedback. I have only actually 'held' 2 of the models i'm looking at. In the meantime, i did about 6 hours of research last night and phoned friends with various Digital SLR's for advice and have added a few more to my list LOL... now i think i'm even more confused. Also looking at the Pentax K200 and the Sony??? A200. Everyone has their favourites. The Sony gets some excellent reviews, but my brother hates Sony LOL, the Pentax gets some good reviews, but my ex used to have the *ist DS ( i think) and my old 4MP Olympus took a better shot than that... different model, i realise, but sometimes it's hard to get past it... i was so disappointed in it. My own personal preference has always been Nikon or Canon, but i love my Olympus UZ... just doesn't function well in low light and sucks for action shots of the furkids!

Put some names in a hat and pick one at random :)

I went from an Olympus Ultra Zoom to a Dslr as well :)

In regards to the Sony, I actually have the Konika Minolta which is basically the same as Sony bought out the Konica Minolta camera production, The mian problem I have had is finding lenses at a reasonable price. I think because there are less around, although now the Sony Alphas are taking off that seems to be improving.

Why does it matter that your brother hates Sony? Isn't the camera for you? Does he know that Sonys are Minoltas? I have the Sony Alpha A350 and I love it! I have never regretted getting the Sony. :)

Try to pick up all of them in the shop and see which one FEELS best to you to use and handle. The main difference that is discussed between Canon and nikon is that the Nikon is apparently bigger and blokes who generally have bigger hands find it easier to hold whereas women generally with smaller hands tend to find the canon easier to hold.

But good idea to try ALL the brands/models that are in your price range and see which one you like best for holding and see which one you find easiest to change dials and settings as unless you plan to use the various features the more expensive cameras have you may as well buy one of the name brand point and shoot cameras (fo a couple of hundred dollars the little point and shoots are fantastic).

Try to pick up all of them in the shop and see which one FEELS best to you to use and handle. The main difference that is discussed between Canon and nikon is that the Nikon is apparently bigger and blokes who generally have bigger hands find it easier to hold whereas women generally with smaller hands tend to find the canon easier to hold.

But good idea to try ALL the brands/models that are in your price range and see which one you like best for holding and see which one you find easiest to change dials and settings as unless you plan to use the various features the more expensive cameras have you may as well buy one of the name brand point and shoot cameras (fo a couple of hundred dollars the little point and shoots are fantastic).

The other issue is build quality. Some feel less sturdy than others (although I haven't heard of this being an issue in practice). I think the Olympus and Nikons tend to feel more solid than the entry level Canons.

The 10D, - 40D canons are heavier and made of metal more than the 350D line of cameras (more plastic in the build) however I have taken that 350D out in rain, dust, 42 degree heat and nothing has made a difference to the performance. And the heavier and more 'sturdy' the more tired your hands and arms will get too f you dont take the camera out regularly (I can't use the battery grip on my canons as I cant lift the camera properly by mid afternoon if out all day). However a heavier camera can also make you hold it more 'still' when taking the photo as well.

Just an update: I ended up buying my brother's D80 (he wanted the D300 of course LOL). Got a fabulous deal and it's just a dream to use. It's the camera i wanted, but couldn't affort to buy new. I'm only shooting on auto at the moment but the controls are all laid out well and from the several hours i've played with it, it seems fairly easy to use. Only problem is that the location of the on/off switch is where my zoom was on my Oly C-770 UZ LOL... keep switching it off! It looks like what i was looking for... great pics on auto, but i can learn as well. Looking forward to a few days off now to have a better look at it!!

That was one of the deciding factors as well Dougie. While the lens that came with my D80 is ok, it also came with another lens that my bro had bought... not a brilliant lens either, but these are enough to get me started. Some of the others i was looking at had crappy lenses, so i'd have to fork out the money straight away. Happy to buy better lenses down the track... just impatient to get started now! LOL

That was one of the deciding factors as well Dougie. While the lens that came with my D80 is ok, it also came with another lens that my bro had bought... not a brilliant lens either, but these are enough to get me started. Some of the others i was looking at had crappy lenses, so i'd have to fork out the money straight away. Happy to buy better lenses down the track... just impatient to get started now! LOL

was going to suggest that - it was the deciding factor for me when i bought my canon DSLR. I already had a canon SLR (film) that had lenses that would be compatible to the digital one. Makes sense then.