Epulis

Hi everyone, it seems that this year is definitely going to be a good one for my vets. :D

In the past 6 months I have had - a pup with elbow dysplasia requiring bilaterel surgery, sarcoptic mange in our older girl for which we had to treat all six of our dogs, kennel cough courtesy of a visiting dog which (touch wood) has only affected three dogs to date and now, my 8yo maltese/jack russell cross has had a biopsy done and has been diagnosed with an epulis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Has anyone had experience with these growths please? I know this one has appeared in the last month or so as I check my dogs' mouths very regularly.

Thanks.

w2s

Epulis are usually benign growths originating from the gums. Normally they grow slowly but can displace the teeth.

If the lump is slow growing and does not interfere with the teeth or eating I would leave it alone. However if it becomes large, displaces any of the teeth or affects their ability to eat I would remove it.

If it is removed it must be with a reasonable margin, usually including adjacent teeth and bone.

The only warning is that taking only a portion of the lump for a biopsy or if they are not properly removed they can be aggravated and grow more quickly.

If the biopsy has been sent to a pathologist they will normally recommend removal if they think it is necessary. Talk to your vet about what they recommend.

my boy Guiness mcGuinness has a form of epulis!

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...;articleid=3057

he has the Acanthomatous form. when discovered it was already large enough to require the removal of a large part of his lower jaw... so we are just keeping him happy and enjoying life. I did not feel that removing half of the right side of his jaw was the right course of action for a dog whose alter ego is called Fox Bane.. he is a brilliant guardian .

cheers

helen

edited cos not only can I not spell, but my fingers refuse to hit the right keys sigh.

Edited by dogbesotted

My oldest girl Ashley had a growth removed on Thursday. It was on the roof of her mouth and they believe it was an epulis. We will have the pathology report back in about a week.

My fingers are crossed that it is found to be benign.

I guess some breeds are more prone to epulis, like Boxers. This growth is the first any of our dogs have ever had.

my boy Guiness mcGuinness has a form of epulis!

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...;articleid=3057

he has the Acanthomatous form.

Hi,

I'm pleased to say that Lewis's epulis is the fibromatous type and was on a clearly defined stalk growing from the floor of his mouth behind his incisors, spilling between two teeth and over to the front gingival margin. At this stage. it isn't doing much of anything and I guess we will be guided by how it progresses. My vet has recommended daily brushing (for Lewis that is!) :cheer: as it is the bacteria that get caught between the epulis and the teeth that do the most damage, with this type of epulis at least.

Good luck with Guinness.

w2s

Edited by woody2shoes