Lagotto Hip Displacia

O.K.

I will get the ball rolling.

I was told by a reputable person that some of the early Lagotti imported into Australia had scores as high as 60! This is very high, as a comparison my Lagotto have been scored at between 7 to 10. The higher the score the worse the hip displacia.

In some of the nordic countries I believe that hip scoring is compulsory and by doing it they have reduced the incidence of H.D.

I feel new breeders here need to be aware and do some research about the subject!

Please do not take this as critisism, my motives are for the betterment of Lagotto!

come on guys don,t be shy.

I haven't got anything to add specifically but am very interested as we're looking at possibly getting a Lagotto. There's so much that we need to be aware of.

BTW Is the breeder the only holder of HD records? Can we pretty safely assume that what we're told is fact or should we double check on a register somewhere?

I know Rottweilers have a HD recorder so you can check up on records.... but if this breed does not even have to have Xrays done then you would need to have them provide you with the xray results... its formal paper work

edited to add

we cannot even register a litter with the Canine Association without hip/elbow eye and mouth certificates

Edited by Guest

If the dogs are x rayed they should be also scored, my are done by Dr. Wyburn in W.A. they are given a score and it is available for my puppy purchasers to see. As far as I know the other Lagotto breeders that x ray send them to him as well so that you can compare accurately.

If the dogs are x rayed they should be also scored, my are done by Dr. Wyburn in W.A. they are given a score and it is available for my puppy purchasers to see. As far as I know the other Lagotto breeders that x ray send them to him as well so that you can compare accurately.

I too send mine to Wyburn.. and my eye and mouth are certified by the vet at the time of xray

I have a Lagotto out of the first litter born in Australia and he does not have good hips. However this was not apparent until he was over two years old and is not such a big problem as long as I watch his weight. I did have him desexed after this was diagnosed. Didn't want any accidental matings with my girls. Of course there is the added veterinary expense in controlling this condition and keeping him comfortable. Apparently his imported mother had bad hips. If I had not been doing agility with him it probably would have taken a lot longer to be noticed, and in a pet home might never have been noticed. BTW he is turning 8 on 22 July, so that is how long we have had Lagotto in Australia.

My two girls are from Greydove and hip scores are on their web site for all to see. I don't think I would be satisfied with word of mouth that the parent's hips were good - I would want to see it in black and white! Of course there is no guarantee even with both parents having good hips, but the odds are definitely in your favour. Remember the old saying "random breedings get random results".

Kiss has excellent hips, is a very good jumper, and actively competes in Agility, Flyball and doggy dancing. We even got first in Novice Jumping at the Sydney Royal (don't know how!).

Because the Lagotto is a medium sized dog the hip problem is not as great as say your Labrador, much heavier in build.

The original average hip score for the Lagotto in Australia was 14, and with reputable breeders working on it I am sure by now it is a lot lower, but I am not able to confirm a number for you.

They are just such a lovely breed, easy to train, affectionate, I would recommend them to anyone. In fact there was a boy in the last Greydove litter who was just so laidback right from the start that I would have loved to see him in a home with young children. There he was in the middle of the heap of puppies, flat out on his back, with the other puppies laying all over him. I just love to watch a new puppy litter - you can see obvious character traits right from the beginning.

Hope this was helpful.

Noels.

BTW he is turning 8 on 22 July, so that is how long we have had Lagotto in Australia.

My lagotto is from the same litter. Sorry to hear your boy has bad hips, I didnt know the mother had bad hips so I guess I am lucky that my girl hasnt had any problems

Hello,

This database is made by me, I update it with the help of many breeders, with dates what I find on internet, with dates from kennel-clubs databases, etc. Anybody can help me to correct or complete the existings, if you ever see that some info is missing please send me at the [email protected]

Laura Tanos

http://lagotto.hu

Thanks for that info, I must have a look. Cheers
There is a Lagotto databse here with some scores: http://www.lagotto.hu/english/database.htm

I'm not sure how updated it is but I was able to find my dog on there