House Trainning A 5 Month Old Puppy

Cavalblaze

Hi everyone, I'm after some advice on house trainning.

I have 2 male cavaliers, 1 is 9 months old and we have just rescued a 5 month old Ruby boy.

The little 5 month old pup we rescued is not house trainned.

He was neglected, he didn't venture outside the laundry basically, so he has no idea that weeing on the floor is not acceptable.

In our house it's massive open living he just wee's anywhere. I've layed newspaper out, I've tried to taking him out every 20 minutes, putting newspaper under him while he is in action, but we haven't had any success.

Second problem is the older pup has picked up the scent in the house and is now tring to spray everything. It's a horrible messy situation. Neither pups are desexed, my 9 month old boy being a show/breeding dog.

I've got a toddler running around and a baby on the way so we need to correct this ASAP.

Firstly good on you for rescuing a pup

Secondlyt STOP letting the new pup have th erun of the house when it is unreliable - you are settin him up for FAILURE.

Keep the 5mo in a smaller area so that he is not weeing throughout the house.

Take him out regularly and wait for him to do wees. Use a word like do wees or toilet so that he associates that with going.

WATCH him like a hawk - if he cirlcesm sniffs etc take him out.

Get a crate and crate train him.

This helps immensely with toilet training.

If you cannot watch him crate him, take him to the loo beforehand then put him in, most dogs will not toilet in their bed, so when you get him out talke him outside to the loo.

Take him out every 30 minutes and wait until he has toileted before you bring him inside.

Good luck

Firstly good on you for rescuing a pup

Secondlyt STOP letting the new pup have th erun of the house when it is unreliable - you are settin him up for FAILURE.

Keep the 5mo in a smaller area so that he is not weeing throughout the house.

Take him out regularly and wait for him to do wees. Use a word like do wees or toilet so that he associates that with going.

WATCH him like a hawk - if he cirlcesm sniffs etc take him out.

Get a crate and crate train him.

This helps immensely with toilet training.

If you cannot watch him crate him, take him to the loo beforehand then put him in, most dogs will not toilet in their bed, so when you get him out talke him outside to the loo.

Take him out every 30 minutes and wait until he has toileted before you bring him inside.

Good luck

Thankyou for your advice. Yes I beleive you have pin pointed my mistake of letting him have such a large area. With pups I have them in a pen and it's so easy, but this guy he is way to big for the pen and I could put up some child gates or something simple and confined him so he isn't weeing everywhere and it's easier to clean up. We also have a pupy crate, he might be a bit big for it though.

Why didn't I think of that!!!!! :laugh: .....Pregnancy brain!!!!!! :p

Block off areas of your house so the dogs can't get to them.

Overnight I would puppy pen the dogs. If you can't keep an eye on them I would either have them outside or puppy pened as well untill they understand that you go outside to the toilet.

Forget about the newspaper training as that only confuses them. Take him outside frequently and tell him 'go to the toilet, go to the toilet' when he does reward him with a treat.

Poor little guy. Glad he's in a better situation now.

I'd suggest you treat him just like a baby pup. Confinement (to a bed sized area, like a crate) usually discourages them from going until you take them to their actual toilet area (unless they have been excessively confined and have had to override their natural distaste for this). I find crating invaluable when pups are at the stage, as this pup is, where they see no reason to hang on.

Thankyou for your advice. Yes I beleive you have pin pointed my mistake of letting him have such a large area. With pups I have them in a pen and it's so easy, but this guy he is way to big for the pen and I could put up some child gates or something simple and confined him so he isn't weeing everywhere and it's easier to clean up. We also have a pupy crate, he might be a bit big for it though.

Why didn't I think of that!!!!! :( .....Pregnancy brain!!!!!! :laugh:

I have a baby gate at home so i can confine my 3 to the tiles.

Works a treat.

Good luck