Loss Of Pigment

My dog has been losing the pigment in the skin around her mouth and nose for the last 2-3 years. It has been very gradual and has not seemed to cause her any problems up until recently where it started to get sore and red around her mouth. I have had the skin biopsied recently but the results were inconclusive - possibly a contact allergy or an auto-immune response of some sort. She is currently on cortisone to reduce the inflammation.

Has anyone had any similar experience with loss of pigment in this way?

No personal experience but I have read on an OES forum that these vitiligo-like symptoms might be caused by plastic water bowls and food dishes. Bacteria can hide in scratches in the plastic (even if it looks spotless) and could cause an allergy response. Changing to glazed ceramic or stainless steel will help if that is the case - also remove any plastic toys. I know in my breed acne is often aggravated by plastic utensils.

Thanks Ruralpug. The vet did suggest changing her food and water bowls to ceramic and I guess it is definitely worth a try. I just think that because the pigment loss didn't start until about a year after we got her that this it is unlikely to be the bowls that is causing it. But I will give it a go.

Agree about the plastic bowls.

The amino acid methionine does assist with pigment. So if you can find a supplement with methionine in it, use it. Otherwise kelp does contain appreciable quantities of methionine. It used to be possible to buy methionine, but I don't know whether you still can.

Thats three people suggesting I get rid of the plastic bowls so far so that will definitely be my next step. I will try looking for the supplement you suggest also Jed. Thanks very much.

I'm interested in this too as my girl (GR) has always had a lightish nose and recently it has gone almost completely pink. Their inside water bowl is plastic whilst the outside ones are stainless steel or ceramic. I've also read that kelp can help with pigment.

I found Value Plus make methionine tablets. Found them at VetnPet direct here and at greyhound products direct here.

Also at the greyhound place, they also have it in powder form by Big Dog.

Hope that helps. Tomorrow I'm off to find a nice big bowl to replace their inside bowl :cry: