Is There A Difference In Kelp?

I give my dogs kelp each day and have usually used the same brand. The dog dose was 1 teas per 500g food. I have bought a bulk kelp and the dog dose on the pack is 1/2 tea. I did a search on google and the recommened dosage differs greatly. Now I don't know how much to give them. They weigh between 18 and 25kg.

Too much kelp can lead to thyroid problems.

I had read that previously. That is why I am now confused as to what the correct dosage should be. The 2 different brands I have had say 2 different amounts.

I'd probably err on the side of caution and split the difference and maybe add about a 1/4 tspn.

I've never fed it as a straight additive. I've always had it mixed in my "Magic Mix" with Brewers Yeast and Keylomin powder.

I'd probably err on the side of caution and split the difference and maybe add about a 1/4 tspn.

I've never fed it as a straight additive. I've always had it mixed in my "Magic Mix" with Brewers Yeast and Keylomin powder.

Thanks Ellz. One brand says 1 teaspon and the one I now have says 1/2 teaspoon. They get Brewers Yeast as well. None of the dogs are showing any of the symptoms of Thyroid issues. I was actually thinking of having my girls tested anyway.

Edited by Norskgra

i knew i read it somewhere - obviously the thyroid issue - is that a spitz thing? its always useful to have a thyroid test as every dog is different and its good to have a 'baseline' in case you think there may be a problem later on. i had Mav tested when he was younger...

No, thyroid problems are universal and can apply from species to species and in many cases they can be directly linked to overdosing with kelp and other sources of iodine.