First Night With Lab Pup...

kristin_e102

Well, the morning has finally come!! No, it wasnt that bad. I think it was more me worrying that he was going to die or something in his sleep!

He went in his crate no worries at all and cried for about a minute then was sound asleep! I heard him crying at 12.30 so took him out for a wee and he went back to sleep straight away! Around 3.30 I woke up because I hadnt heard him so I checked him and he had done a wee in the crate. So I took him outside, where he then did a poo, cleaned out the soiled blanket and put him back in.. he then slept until 6.45! Is it normal for them to wee inside the crate on the first night?? Will he get used to crying to get out for the`toilet!

Cheers,

Kristin

Well, the morning has finally come!! No, it wasnt that bad. I think it was more me worrying that he was going to die or something in his sleep!

He went in his crate no worries at all and cried for about a minute then was sound asleep! I heard him crying at 12.30 so took him out for a wee and he went back to sleep straight away! Around 3.30 I woke up because I hadnt heard him so I checked him and he had done a wee in the crate. So I took him outside, where he then did a poo, cleaned out the soiled blanket and put him back in.. he then slept until 6.45! Is it normal for them to wee inside the crate on the first night?? Will he get used to crying to get out for the`toilet!

Cheers,

Kristin

If he's not crying to let you know he needs to toilet, I would set an alarm and get him up. For Jedi when he was 8 weeks, we would take him out every 2-3 hours throughout the night. By 10-11 weeks old he was sleeping the whole night, so it's not forever!

The other problem might be that the crate is too large. Have you sectioned it off so that he only has enough room to turn around and stretch out comfortably? You can do that easily with either a crate barrier that might have come with your crate, or using a cardboard box or bit of perspex cut to size. You just move it so that he gets more room as he grows.

yeah I have sectioned it off and its nice and 'den-like' for him... He seems to like it.

he cried the first time he wanted to go out but not any time after that so I think I will set the alarm for every 2 hours and just get him up.. Hope it goes better tonight!

Thanks for the advice..

Kristin

Hi Kristin

Hope you had a good second night with your pup, we also just picked up our new black lab pup on Sunday so we just had our first two nights at home with him. Having never owned a dog before in my life it's quite an experience, but he is doing really well in his crate at night so far.

Hi,

Second night went brilliantly!! I didnt set an alarm because I generally wake up in the middle of the night anyways but last night my partner nudged me to tell me that Tayza was awake so I got up and he did a wee. That was at about 3.30am and I didnt hear a peep from him again until I got up at 6.45. No more accidents in his bed either! He cried a little when he was put into his crate but that was about it...

I went to Uni this morning so my partner looked after him while I was gone and he said that Tayza played up and was weeing on my pyjamas and doona - even though my partner had just taken him out! Is this normal?

Oh and did I mention that he humped my partners arm yesterday???? He is only 8 weeks - I didnt think this happened for awhile!! I nearly killed myself with laughter tho..

Thanks for reading,

Kristin

That is great news!!!

An 8 week old puppy does not have much control over his bladder. At this age you should be watching him like a hawk and if you cannot, then you need to crate him. The more accidents he's allowed to have in the house, the harder it will be for him to learn *not* to do it later on. Whether it's normal or not depends on your time definition of "just taken out" and whether your partner actually saw him pee (he may not have). At that age the pup might need to toilet every 30 minutes... I would suggest you develop a routine so that after feeding, playing, sleeping he is taken out to toilet to the same place in the yard. Between these times, watch his every move and if he looks like he's going to pee (circling, sniffing) pick him up and take him outside.

Try and use a command for toileting as well ("go wees", "hurry up", "pee pee" or whatever floats your boat - remember that you will need to use it in public!). He will start to associate the command with the action... Very useful later on!

Puppies hump things... Practice, I guess! Don't let him hump any part of you... As funny as it might be now, you don't want a 20kg dog doing it later on!

Yes, well, what the partner says isnt always what actually happened!! lol

I dont have any worries when Im home with him going to the toilet as I have a routine with him.. I take him out after eating (especially), after playing and when he has just woken up. Will have to try and drum this into my boys head so that when Im not here there are no accidents!

Thanks for the tips....

Kristin

Yes, well, what the partner says isnt always what actually happened!! lol

I dont have any worries when Im home with him going to the toilet as I have a routine with him.. I take him out after eating (especially), after playing and when he has just woken up. Will have to try and drum this into my boys head so that when Im not here there are no accidents!

Thanks for the tips....

Kristin

I'm sure he will be perfectly motivated to do it after Tayza peed on the doona! :(

Last night would have to have been the worst night out of the three!! Tayza went out to the toilet and then went to bed. He then proceeded to wake every hour, on the hour, crying and yelping - not to be let out to the toilet - but to play! I took him to the toilet and he went and about half an hour later I felt his bed and he had done a wee! He cried ALL night!!! Its now 6.30 and I have to be up to go to Uni - NOT HAPPY JAN!

We are going to puppy school tonight so that should wear him out - but what about every other night? How do I try and get him to sleep all night? He has been so good for the past two nights, I thought that he was going to be a dream puppy! :(

Thanks for reading!,

A very tired/reluctant Mummy Kristin

be persistent - a young pup i a new house is always going to have accidents.

getting up every 3 hrs should be sufficient during the night - and make it regular - this is the routine i used to use...

i went to bed at 10pm last toilet stop

alarm set for 1am toilet stop, praise for toilet break and straight back in the crate without any playing or talking/fuss

alarm set for 4am toilet stop same as above

i got up at 6 and played with them for an hr or so before work...

dont wait for the puppy to cry to be let out, this is sending the message - 'i cry, i get out' and they will use it against you LOL!

keep the times regular, without fail, then pup know how long it must wait...

slowly extend the times by say 5 mins a night until they can go right through the night

100% reliable

be persistent - a young pup i a new house is always going to have accidents.

getting up every 3 hrs should be sufficient during the night - and make it regular - this is the routine i used to use...

i went to bed at 10pm last toilet stop

alarm set for 1am toilet stop, praise for toilet break and straight back in the crate without any playing or talking/fuss

alarm set for 4am toilet stop same as above

i got up at 6 and played with them for an hr or so before work...

dont wait for the puppy to cry to be let out, this is sending the message - 'i cry, i get out' and they will use it against you LOL!

keep the times regular, without fail, then pup know how long it must wait...

slowly extend the times by say 5 mins a night until they can go right through the night

100% reliable

I can second that. It is almost down to the letter of what I used with Jedi, except I got up every 2 hours to start with (boy was I exhausted!).

You can try and wear him out before you put him to bed the first time just by playing. It doesn't take much to wear out an 8 week old puppy! 10 minutes or so and the lights are out! But there's no guarantee that he will settle in his crate to sleep straight away. It's all about routine.

Thanks so much for the great advice! He slept nearly all the night last night! I set the alarm for 1am and then 3.30am but at 3.30 he was sound asleep so I didnt wake him and I woke at 6.45 and he went straight out! Finally, I got a good sleep..

I know puppy school would have helped to wear him out but its good to know a routine I can get into...

Thanks so much - will keep you posted on any updates!

Kristin

P.S He sits now, after school last night - Im so Proud :-)