Artemis Dry Food

Hi all,

I have a 4 y/o desexed husky who is a little overweight. He is losing weight on pedigree naturals (he's allergic to many foods - we think it's a preservatives or colourings thing, but haven't been able to pin point which preservative or colouring it is in particular so we've had him on this food while he's been losing weight) but i want to try him on something of a higher quality. I tried orijen, which sent him a little hyperactive which isn't a problem as now he is getting more exercise (and we will be doing agility in the future when he is at a good weight), but they do not have a low fat variety and I'm reluctant to change him over with a reduced amount of food as he has stomach problems when he eats grainless food due to it being digested faster. This is probably a good time to mention that i tried many different foods before finding one that doesn't make him sick and only pedigree naturals, HSD (my vet told me not to feed him it!) and supercoat (which he gets sick of very quickly) are suitable for him.

Anyway - to put a long story short, I would love to hear people's stories about and experiences of artemis as the only thing searches bought up was "too early to tell" threads!

I've been using Artemis for my 3 goldens for a few months now. It's great quality and the girls just love it, to the point of spinning around my kitchen when it's dinner time LOL. One of my girls puts on weight easily and i've found it easy to maintain her weight with Artemis (Fresh Mix adult). I haven't tried the weight management formula. My older girl gets 1 to 1 1/4 cup/day, 3 y.o fairly active girl is now getting 2 cups a day, and my 18 month old lazy girl gets 1.5 cups.

I bought a bag of Artemis, but it didn't really suit my dogs, they had a lot of gas and their poos were very soft. I did introduce it rather quickly, I used the last of the Nutro and put them straight onto Artemis so that might have had something to do with it. Anyway I persevered for a week with no improvement so I returned the bag. I am now using Orijen and am quite pleased with it but if Nutro were still available that's what I'd use as my dogs did so well on it.

ETA I am not in any way implying that Artemis isn't a good food, I'm just saying that it didn't suit my dogs.

Edited by Miranda

It's okay Miranda - I understand that not all foods are good for all dogs. I know that some of the better quality foods are not good for Zero but he does well on pedigree naturals. On the other hand i know that he could potentially do better on a higher quality food and i would like to try a grainless food again. If he doesn't do better on neither artemis or orijen, i don't have a problem switching him back to the food he's on, but i want to try all options first!

My mutts/darlings LOL, were weaned off Eagle Pack Power and introduced to Armetis Power. They all seem to be surviving and no real change noted, in the 6 week period since complete change over. So happy so far.

When I visit farms, and note hard working kelpies being fed say Bonnie with raw meat, I often ponder my feed costs. I worry more what goes down my dogs gurglers than my own!!!

My mutts/darlings LOL, were weaned off Eagle Pack Power and introduced to Armetis Power. They all seem to be surviving and no real change noted, in the 6 week period since complete change over. So happy so far.

I haven't heard of Artemis Power, when I bought Artemis I got the Adult Fresh Mix I don't think Artemis Power was available then. I've just looked up the ingredients, sounds good.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just introduced one old girl to Artemis Senior (she loves the Orijen but is struggling to get a lot of food down so want to offer her everything). The Senior looks really good with a decent meat content and generous botanicals. The grain content is not over the top either. She cried all the way through her first meal after really losing interest in food a day or two ago (she has bone cancer so every day is a bonus).

To answer Miranda, Power looks promising, more similar to Nutro Performance than anything I've seen to date. It is a reasonable size bite though, which is obviously good for some and not for others. :dropjaw:

Sags