Toilet Training

SamanthaGSD

G'Day Fellow Forumites,

Just a quick question, our "little" 14 week old GSD Samantha has done wonderfuly since we got her with toileting. We have had a few accidents, nothing too much of a concern.

She is crated at night and loves it. Put her outside when we go to bed about 10.30pm and until recently I have been getting up about 2.30 - 3.00am for wees and poos.

Recently though I have opened her crate and told her outside, she has just laid there not interested. Take her out and a tiny wee no poos.

The last couple of days I have not let her out until 6.30am where she does wees and sometimes poos. She never cries during the night to be let out, and first thing in the morning she is happy to do her business. She has never soiled her crate either.

Am I being cruel not to take her out? That is making her "hold" it longer?

Soon after she has dinner she goes outside for toilet, just before bed, I let her have a few licks of her water before bed and during the night when she was getting up.

Samantha is doing really well, we are so proud and happy of her.

Thanks

Rob

Well done Samantha and well done you!

Others will know more than me — Martha is on her way, but we're not up to this stage yet — but the evidence certainly suggests she's learnt to hold it through the night.

To be honest, I had to read this twice to make sure I wasn't missing something. (Which I still think I may be.) Surely everything is going to plan? I guess if you wanted to be sure, you could try giving her the option of going out during the night every second or third night. Just to ensure she really would prefer to sleep.

What do you intend to do when you're confident she's toilet trained? Will you leave the crate door open at night? I didn't crate train Martha so I don't know much about it, although I'm thinking of getting her a crate as everyone says their pups love them so much.

Samantha is doing really well, we are so proud and happy of her.

So you should be. What an excellent girl. Give her a congratulatory tummy rub from me.

My 5 month AMstaff has no problems holding it all night, has done for ages!! In fact you open the door sometimes at 7:30am and he is still sleeping. Its bliss! My 1 year old Lhasa on the other hand often likes to go out at 3am, then 7am :(

Think its a bit dog dependent.

we are doing the same with my GSD Koda. now we dont need to let her out so often. the idea is that they learn to hold it. you are doing everything right, and dont think that you have to let them releive themselves so often. as adults when they toilet so often its time to see a vet.

good on Samantha, and you have done really well.

PS i know there are spelling mistakes here but cant sem to fix them, my mind has shut down

Rob, obviously Samantha hasn't been needing to get up and toilet during the night. That's a good thing, lol. If she does need to go during the night at any time, she'll let you know so just ensure that her crate is positioned somewhere that you can hear her.

Well done Samantha!! :(

As she gets older, she will be able to hold on for longer. Most dogs won't soil in their crate and will cry to be let out if they need to go. If she doesn't cry, she most likely is still sleeping or just doesn't need to go.

As mentioned above, as long as you can hear her cry if she needs to go, you don't need to get her up.

Thanks for the replies guys and girls.

I spoke too soon, LOL, we had a little accident in the house today, just wees (house is tiled) so we all missed the signs or her request to be let out. We are very proud of her, she will cry and stand by the door whilst she is outside of her crate. So far she hasnt cried whilst in her crate to be let out during the night.

I just expected that it would take longer for her to be able to hold it so long.

Will see how she goes, fingers crossed it will continue.

Regards,

Rob