Puppy Bit Under Weight

noosh

hi everyone....My 13 week old stafford pup is looking a little under weight....a little too bony!!! I have 2 other staffords and i dont remember them been like this!

Am I feeding enough 4 her age..breakfast is 'eagle pack' puppy kibble and scrambled egg, lunch is either beef mince and kibble or kibble on its own and dinner is mince and kibble....She was getting weetbix,yougurt and milk 4 brekky, srambled egg 4 lunch and mince and kibble 4 dinner I have a show in the next two weeks ( her 1st) !!!! If anyone has any idea I'd be grateful 4 advice. Also she tends to have dry skin hence the use of 'eagle pack'.....I wash her in troy 'oaticoat' shampoo and conditioner 4 puppies...so I wouldn't mind some extra oils or omega in her diet. Thanks :thumbsup:

If she has skin allegies I would be dropping the mince in favour of chicken necks, wings, frames. Also weetbix and milk is not a good puppy food - nothing of benefit in weetbix and milk can also irritate stomach. Remember if changing diet to change over slowly. Could also introduce some sardine occassionally.

I used Troy Oaticaot shampoo on Benson and it made his skin flaky so I switched to Aloveen and it was a bit better, now I use Plush Puppy conditioning shampoo and it's fantastic. No more flaky skin at all. I use Aloveen conditioner on both the dogs after their baths by rubbing it on my hands then smoothing it through their coats.

You can add Flaxseed oil to puppy's food, which will be good for his skin and coat, and give him some sardines a few times each week, mashed in with his kibble. He'll love them!

To put weight on, chicken wings are high in fat (which is why they bake nice and crisp for us to eat) and he is old enough to tackle a whole one for a meal each day.....maybe a meal that you can supervise.

I agree with u Lizandel about the weetbix etc...It was what she was having 4 brekky when I got her at 8weeks..and I slowly took her off it along with a few other foods I wouldnt normally feed my dogs. Might go on to necks..what about chicken mince? my other dogs love their sardines 1-2 times a week but I wasnt sure if at her age they were alright. Leena I had a samoyed ..he died 2 years ago from old age....he was adorable..fantastic temperment could only fault hes unwillingness to do as he was told!!!..hes name was nooshka hence my username!!! your sam looks stunning!!...and after all that ..no she is full of beans and annoying my other 2!!! GayleK...saw the aloveen but the shop assistant reccomended oaticoat!!!!??? might have to try it!!! I will also have a go with the flaxseed oil...where do u buy that from?

Probably a silly thing but have you wormed her correctly? I would also look at giving her cooked lamb shanks. At this age she would enjoy the good chew on the bone after she is finsihed. Lamb flaps are also good as is the chicken mince. Cooked tongue is also good for putting weight on puppies.

Personally I'd stay away from any cooked bones - just not worth the risk, but thats JMO. Chicken wings are great, as are lamb flaps, but just make sure there's not too much fat as it may give her an upset tummy. Sometimes an unbalance in omega 3,6 and 9 can cause dry skin, as can artificial heating and cooling!

I have found a number of different shampoos and conditioners leave dogs skin quite flaky. Maybe try looking for something that's 100% natural?

I agree with u Lizandel about the weetbix etc...It was what she was having 4 brekky when I got her at 8weeks..and I slowly took her off it along with a few other foods I wouldnt normally feed my dogs. Might go on to necks..what about chicken mince? my other dogs love their sardines 1-2 times a week but I wasnt sure if at her age they were alright. Leena I had a samoyed ..he died 2 years ago from old age....he was adorable..fantastic temperment could only fault hes unwillingness to do as he was told!!!..hes name was nooshka hence my username!!! your sam looks stunning!!...and after all that ..no she is full of beans and annoying my other 2!!! GayleK...saw the aloveen but the shop assistant reccomended oaticoat!!!!??? might have to try it!!! I will also have a go with the flaxseed oil...where do u buy that from?

Hi there, chicken mince is probably fine but necks, wings etc have the added benefit of helping with their teeth. I also would not feed any cooked bones especially to a strong little pup like a staffy who will most likely be able to crunch into the bones a bit. Cooked bones can do all sorts of damage to digestive systems and not worth the risk imo.