Hyperplasia

I posted this on the What Dry Food thread, but thought I should start it again on a new thread:

I have been using Advance food mixed with raw beef, or lamb, or chicken and either cooked or raw veges, consisting of carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, silverbeet, broccoli, zuchinni, not necessarily all at once, sometimes I add rice or pasta.

Two of my pugs will eat, then almost immediately vomit it back up.

This breeding season I have had two Frenchies and two Pugs with Vaginal Hyperplasias and I am wondering if it could be food related. I have been breeding dogs for 35 years and never experienced this before.

It is interesting to note that one of the Pugs does not live with me, she has had 3 heats prior to this one and never had a H/P before, now she is on Advance and she has a small one. My other Pug bitch has had two litters of 7 without a hint of a H/P, this time she had one protruding about the size of a golf ball.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this?????

I have spoken to my vet who doesn't seem to think it is food related, but I have my doubts and would appreciate any advice.

It occurs because of a high incidence of Eostrogen in the system and disappears when they go out of season, but what would cause them to suddenly have high levels????

Edited by pugsnfrenchies

My old girl developed Hyperplasia as she matured, her mother & grandmother did the same, as did her daughters, in some lines endocrine issues are very heriditary.

I didn't find any difference in dam or daughters with different foods - wether it was a raw diet or one with a kibble base, although I imagine a dry food high in soy would be an oestrogenic.

We ended up desexing, as one of the daughter's hyperplasia became so pronounced with each season that she prolapsed.

fifi

My old girl developed Hyperplasia as she matured, her mother & grandmother did the same, as did her daughters, in some lines endocrine issues are very heriditary.

I didn't find any difference in dam or daughters with different foods - wether it was a raw diet or one with a kibble base, although I imagine a dry food high in soy would be an oestrogenic.

We ended up desexing, as one of the daughter's hyperplasia became so pronounced with each season that she prolapsed.

fifi

Thanks for the reply Fifi. I know that it can be hereditary, but my Pug girl's mother and grandmother never had one and she is only 4 years old and hasn't had a hint of one before. It just seems very odd that in 35 years of breeding I'd never even heard of one and now they are seem to be occurring frequently. I guess I am just trying to find a reason for it.

I guess we have to wonder at the meat too ? I know that officially no hormones are allowed to be fed to poultry & other animals for consumption - but I look at the over muscling & rapid growth of mass farmed animals & feel mighty suspicious of what we are potentially feeding our dogs !

somewhere in the food chain things have changed me-thinks !

fifi