Pedigree Food

ClareL

(I know people think its weak saying I dont like raw meat but I haven't eaten meat since 7 years of age and I won't even stay in the house when my partner cooks it as it makes me sick) He will get some but can't come to rely on it.

I will probably start mixing some advance in and see how he goes. Thanks for all the advice again!

Weak? The dog would be dead if it wasn't for you. I think you're a hero!

There are definately worse foods than Pedigree Puppy !! and if you are a vegetarian and struggle with meat, then a dry food diet for your dog would be best for you. I know there are alot of raw food advocates out there that would carry on about you feeding a dry food diet, but it has to be what is best for you as well as the dog... I know many breeders that feed their dogs Cobber or Bonnie ! and their dogs are thriving on it.

As the others have suggested, you can try gradually putting in better quality bikkies with the Pedigree ones as the pup grows, and you could also try some tinned sardines or mackeral (if you can stomach that), they are good for the pup and will help them eat. Even the occasional raw egg, and mix in any left over vegies !

Just one tip though, if your puppy hasnt eaten its dinner in 15 mins, just take it away and offer it at the next feeding time, please dont resort to handfeeding or adding yummy stuff to the bowl if the pup wont eat. That is a surefire way of producing a fussy puppy.

Most of all, have fun with the pup, and it sounds like it is already on a better diet than it was!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would go back to the quality food and perhaps mix in chicken stock or yoghurt. Try going back to EP Holistic and try that and see how you go.

Also try adding sardines, the oil will also add flavour to the kibble and its great for their coats.

Good luck!

Trina

Edited by TrinaJ

Thanks again for all the advice, he actually wasn't feed at all while at the pound as they were going to put him down and we have no histroy before that, and the shelter only had him 2 days.

I will probably start mixing some advance in and see how he goes. Thanks for all the advice again!

You are a hero to take a dog on like this is comendable! There is nothing wrong with a little bit of Pedigree puppy, i can name many worse brands than this Iams, Hills Science...... ect, My advice is to try intergrating some Advance puppy food as this is IMO the best dryfood on the market for puppys, by far. My puppies have thrived on this and we have had exceptional results.

I hope you can get your pup to eat but i do agree if they won't eat it take it away from them and try it agian later they will eat when they figure out that you won't give in! ok Good luck.

JB

I totally understand where you're coming from about feeding raw meat as I'm also a veggie. I feed my resuce lab Orijen kibble and she gets a raw egg mixed in a couple of times a week and I can just about stomach giving her a pigs ear to chew on when I go out for the day, or one of the bones that isn't really a bone but they like to chew on.

When I first got her I read up on BARF etc and thought I really should give her some patties at least so I bought some from the local pet deli, defrosted in and then almost vomited when cutting it up for her :D - so that one just didn't work unfortunately. Maybe I'll try it again (or get the OH to chop it up) but she's thriving on her dry food at the moment.

Anyway, i agree with Botheration - you've done a really great job rescuing your pup :)

Just had a thought - are pigs ears good or bad for dogs? Might be a silly question....