Coughing

My young JRT Stella started coughing after tea Tuesday night. She had a small amount of dry and a chicken wing.

It started about 10 minutes after eating and is a really harsh cough, like she is trying to bring something up. About an hour later she started bringing up some froth, and at about 11pm, brought up some of the dry food.

Off to the vets first thing yesterday morning and he suggested to take her home and offer her some lunch and water and see if she has any trouble keeping anything down. If she had any trouble, we would be back at the vets for X-Ray's to make sure there is nothing stuck.

She ate some dry for lunch fine, had a drink of water and I watched her all day. She ate tea fine and slept in my room so I could keep an eye on her. Never brought anything back up.

She still has the cough and is on some meds (can't remember what they are, I'm at work). But is not bringing anything up now.

Could it be an irritation from the chicken wing going down wrong? Could something still be stuck even though she is eating well? It has me worried even though the vet said if she is eating fine, everything should be OK.

Would you keep up with the meds and keep an eye on her or be back for X-Ray's just to be sure?

Edited by weisnjac

I had something similar here a couple of months ago. The vet said it's basically like us getting a cold and put her on some antibiotics. The antibiotics did nothing, so it must have been a virus. The cough cleared up by itself in about 10 days and no other dogs got it.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Jbbb,

The vet didn't mention anything else to me as to what it could be. Just said, not KC could be a blockage.

Temp was fine, heart was fine and she is still her usually feral self, scabbing for food and jumping off the walls ;)

Still has me worried though, the cough sounds so painfull :rofl:

Our JRT had a little virus recently that involved her coughing. It wasn't KC, more that she had mucous draining down the back of her throat and was trying to hack it up . It was more to do with her sinuses. About a week after she first started coughing, Orbit started doing it too. His only lasted about 5 days at the most though and was quite mild. Interestingly my vets have seen a couple of cases of a similar thing.

eta: just read that yours is KC. Hope they get better soon!

Edited by stormie

Try 1 tablespoon of manuka honey to 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.. They love the taste and it is the only thing that go tme over Whooping cough, ended up with three broken ribs double hernia and split diaphram before I learned about this one.. culd be coincidence but stopped coughing in a couple of days (after over 6 months) after all the shit the quacks put me on. Now whenever I have a cough of any sort or the dogs for that matter I whip up a batch and we all feel better..