Headcollars- And Other Dogs

I have been putting a headcollar on my youngest dog as i may need to be able to use one for certain things with him. We have just been habituating him to it, feeding him treats, letting him lie down with it on etc andi have noticed something interesting.

While he does not seem worried- even happy to lie down and go to sleep while wearing the headcollar- all 3 of my other dogs have tried to take the headcollar off Dexter- using their paws, licking at it etc. While we stop them from doing this straight away, i do find it very interesting and was wondering if anyone else had seen behaviour like this with any piece of equipment? Dexter is not stressed at all and is actually the best dog i have ever put a headcollar on as he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all after a few short sessions.

The other dog's show good sense in trying to remove the Headcollar.Yes I have seen this type of behaviour in Dogs,Horse's,Cattle and so on.Its simply the other Dog's noticing it and to them it is new,strange and out of place. Tony

Its simply the other Dog's noticing it and to them it is new,strange and out of place.

I would be inclined to agree with Tony.

What do you think you'll need to be able to use a head collar on him for? Is something wrong? Or is it just for demonstration purposes?

Edited by Erny

I figured as much but i haven't seen that behaviour before from my dogs with anything else! Suppose i've never used a headcollar on them either though.

Erny, i need to be able to control his head a little better to slow/ settle him for some of his hydrotherapy/ rehab for his hip dysplasia. I want to try a few different types of equipment to see what will suit best, hence the desnsitising to the feeling of the headcollar.

Thanks Erny- the hydrotherapy has already shown good improvements. (Sorry for going OT in my own thread!!)

:clap: .... you're apologising to yourself??

Glad the hydro is working. How often do you need to go for this treatment? Is it in conjunction with anything else?

Edited by Erny

He goes once a week for underwater treadmill

:cooldance: .... I picture him with his snorkel gear on !!

... and swimming and another time just for swimming. He is also on ester c, glucosamine, cartophen and fish oil and has stretches and massage daily.

Sounds as though you are working really hard to try to help him. Good for you :clap: and hope it continues to pay dividends.

I'm sure one of my girls has the exact opposite effect! When the headcollar goes on the youngest (8 month old labrador) the rest of the dogs are happier to walk with her! Not as much pulling and yanking all over the place I presume. Also lots less stopping of the group by me to get her better settled! She is well trained to walking with me one on one but has only just really started big kid walking with the team and think she needs to race the others! They really settle when she gets the headcollar on, works beautifully on all of them then! Much easier walking!

Perhaps your crew are just a bit more protective of this one because of the health problems, they known he is special and they want to protect him? Head collars must look pretty strange to them! But thank heavens for them!