Paws Brand Mince

percyk

what is in PAWS brand of fresh mince?

cant see anything on the packet

is it roo meat?

how do you know if there are preservatives?

i guess i could ring the manufacturers... it's in woolworths

thanks for any responses

Hi Percyk,

For me the bottom line is that if the company is making it that hard to work out exactly what's in their products then give them a miss - VIP in my mind are fairly similar - minimal legal information requirements only instead of full disclosure.

I'd only buy stuff where you can be sure what's in it - as you'd do for your kids - and that usually means human grade. Your doggies will thank you for it, be happy and healthy and you'll save a fortune in vet bills.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :happydance:

Hi Percyk,

For me the bottom line is that if the company is making it that hard to work out exactly what's in their products then give them a miss - VIP in my mind are fairly similar - minimal legal information requirements only instead of full disclosure.

I'd only buy stuff where you can be sure what's in it - as you'd do for your kids - and that usually means human grade. Your doggies will thank you for it, be happy and healthy and you'll save a fortune in vet bills.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

Thanks Westiemum

i too think it's safer to give the human grade mince

but succumbed and bought this one

noone ate it tonight so i threw this lots out

still have the bag in the fridge though

ill go get some premium mince from aldi tomorrow

Hi percyk,

Doesn't surprise me - doggies tend to know when they are on a good wicket!!

I'm sure you're up to speed with 'Specials' - but I haunt the supermarket meat specials, bag them and then throw them in the freezer - when Coles reduce their offal, usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday you can pick up a kg or two for under a dollar a kg - and I get two to three meals out of it for my two westies. I also buy RMBs, lamb flaps (cut off any excess fat 1.49/kg - sometimes less), chicken necks (2.00/kg), and any chewy meat on special - the chewier the better - chuck, gravy beef etc. I also get good chicken frames with some meat still on them from my local butcher very cheaply. The man next door also gives me his reject whole fish he has caught down at his shack - and my guys are in seventh heaven when 'Uncle Don' comes home with his pressies for them!! Then a barf pattie or two a week, homebrand sardines, homebrand mackeral and veggies some nights(frozen mixed or whatever is in season) So theres plenty of variety for them - and I find its dirt cheap. Just takes a bit of thought and effort - and my guys are worth it! And they love it - they go into ecstasy when their bones or flaps come out - and its so good to see them really chewing away and thoroughly enjoying their meals - real dog behaviour. And I believe I save a fortune in vet bills!

Anyway I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :thumbsup:

Thanks Westiemum

i too think it's safer to give the human grade mince

but succumbed and bought this one

noone ate it tonight so i threw this lots out

still have the bag in the fridge though

ill go get some premium mince from aldi tomorrow

thanks for your replies Westemum

i talked to the vet yesterday - was getting the cats vaccinated and was chatting about dog diets

now this vet does not push products on to me

i think she knows that with so many animals im not going to spend a fortune on all the little things that maybe a onedogowner might

butthe one thing she kept saying is that there are plenty of good foods out there like royal canin ( and they dont stock anything but science diet) that have got the product just right and we should give up on trying to feed the right combos of everything

to me

it's like the formula vs breast debate

i dont know what to think really

maybe it's better to feed a pup a really good mix and then cross over to a natural diet just in case youre not getting the proportions right?

what do you think?

i mean none of my dogs

have ever been sickly

not one has died of cancer

the last one lived til 18 and ate everything

i am in a state of confusion again

anyway

i cooked up the mince with some frozen veges and brown rice

put a smidge of vegemite into it and they all wolfed it down

wont buy it again though

cos im over cooking for the dogs

dont mind mixing stuff but id rather give it raw or i dont see the purpose

ill go read up on the nutrition threads again

Why did you cook the mince? Dogs can eat it raw.....

Zero would give his left paws for raw mince and vegetables! He likes rice, but i try not to give it to him too often. You can also give them yoghurt and eggs (some people worry about bacteria in them, but we've never had a problem!) with it.