Best Way To End Games And Satisfiying Drive

I have wondered this for some time. What is the best way to end the following games -

One game I play with my dog is balloons. She likes juggling them in the air and trying to bust them. When she busts it, drive is satisfied, game is over - thats an easy one.

But some other games we play include

Fetch - How do I end this game ? When she brings it back and drops it, should I just put it in my pocket and that it ?

Hose - I turn the hose on high and spray it around at things. I dont know how to satisfy her drive in this game. She like to chase it, (she is very intense when doing this) and she likes to try and catch it in her mouth. Any ideas ?

Tug of war - How do I end this game. I want her to win to build her confidence. At the moment, I let her win, I let her chew the object for a half minute or so, then I take it away. Is this right ?

Is drive satisfyied when she shakes the toy and wins (I let go) or chewing it after wards ?

Edited by calsonic350z

Cal, with Fetch I will throw the ball say four times.On the first three, when the dog brings the ball back to me I will say"Out" and take the ball off the dog.I will then throw it again.This time being the fourth time in this example,when the dog brings the ball back to me,I will verbally praise him but not ask for the ball.The dog will stand or lay down and chew on the ball.The Dog is being allowed a Capture thus staisfying drive.After a few minutes I will then take the ball back.

With the Hose,the dog is trying to catch the moving stream of course.To satisfy drive in this case I would after a period of chasing the water stop waving the hose around,thus the dog now has a stationery stream of water she can bite or snap at.Leave the Stream still for a little while and that should do the trick.

Tug.I would follow the same principle as the ball.Wave the tug around and pull against her for a little while,then ask for release of the tug.Say after three of these short sessions,let her take the tug.She will either chew it or walk off with it.You can then walk off with the dog,letting her carry the Tug and then take it back and put it away.

The above is only an example and individual dogs of course will have different levels of drive which need to be taken into account.

Are you asking her to perform any task inbetween these reward's?

An extremely good source of knowledge regarding this topic and many other's is Steve from K9Force's courses on drive training. Tony

Some great ideas there Tony, thanks !

Ill be sure to take a look at K9Forces website.

This week im placing an order for a dvd from http://leerburg.com. I am going to start with just the one "How to raise a working puppy" or "your puppy 8 weeks - 8 months".

No I am not using these games as a reward for anything. Should I be ? A reward for what kind of task as an example ?

Edited by calsonic350z

K9: There isnt a straight forward answer to anything in drive training really, it depends what stage your in... If your developimng drive you want to end with frustration, ie no capture, if your maintaining you end with a capture.

If you want to signal work is over you might end with a capture & allow dog t carry item off training field.

If you increase frustration too much, this can result in loss of drive...