How To Train A Pup To Live With A Rabbit

I'm posting this question for my neice. She has an adult female rabbit that is housetrained and has full access to the house. She would like to get a puppy, but is unsure how to train the pup to leave the rabbit alone, or whether it's even possible (and the instinct of the dog would be too great).

Has anyone had any success in this area and how did you do it?

If the rabbit has already reacted in a negative sense to a dog being in the house (acting stressed when it has smelt a dog), does this mean that it's impossible to get a pup, or can the two learn to coexist like cats and dogs do?

If the responses are negative (i.e. the rabbit will be eaten/killed regardless of the amount of training), then she won't get a pup until the rabbit has died.

Thanks.

Guest Willow

matildaJarrah.jpg

gossiping.jpg

It's possible, but it does depend a lot on the personality of the dog....if the dog has a high prey drive, it may be difficult, or not do-able at all, but never say never!!!

The House Rabbit Society website has step by step instructions (rather than me waffle on and make no sense!):

www.rabbit.org

Guest Willow

I meant to add, however reliable the dogs may be, I would never go out for the day & leave them alone with the rabbits....accidents happen, even with the nicest dogs.....that website should help your niece with everything she needs to know....including how to pick a dog that might potentially get on with her bunny :laugh:

Edited by Willow

Guest Tess32

I have two house rabbits and three dogs. The dogs could easily choose to hop over the baby gate if they wanted to and get to the rabbit...

It's possible, but will depend on dog, and I would never leave a dog and rabbit completely unattended. You'd have to train the puppy to understand 'gentle' and things like that.

If it's impossible for her to have both seperate and they must co-exist....it would be difficult. Some would be fine when the rabbit is just sitting there, but bunny dances and zoomies can se4t off mosts dogs.

Guest Willow

I've had three of my bunnies for 4 years, then 18 months ago, both the dogs came (adult rescues) then the bunny in the picture arrived about 6 weeks ago.

I specifically looked for rescue dogs with low prey drive...Jarrah (Stafford) barked at the bunnies the first night (they were behind a screen door) then acted as if they were invisible from that day on.....we haven't had to do any training really with him, and the other little guy just isn't interested at all.....he's slowly becoming quite cuddly with them, but he actually seemed frightened of the rabbits for a long time.

Both dogs have a very strong recall, a very good response to "leave it" and almost zero prey drive, which is why it works so well.

It's really about compatible personalities & only part of it comes down to training.....I wish I could give you a magic formula to make it work, but we just selected our dogs really carefully for their lack of interest in the bunnies.

I think it could be harder with a puppy, because they may have no real prey drive as babies, but develop it later ( maybe) or they might just be a bit too full on, and want to play, especially if the bunny runs away.......would your niece consider an older pup or adult dog even?

I guess you could increase your chances of sucess by picking a breed known for lack or drive, but even then there is a bit of an element of luck.....I have had little fluffy poodle cross foster dogs who've wanted to eat my bunnies, and JRT's who haven't been interested at all

that website gives some good advice though, it would be well worth checking out.

good luck!!! :rofl:

Ive converted my dogs (JRT crosses) from having full prey drive wanting to kill my chooks etc. (like they'd literally be shaking with anticipation, and have actually killed my neighbours chooks in the past) to being fully trusted around them (supervised of course) without a single worry, Favoury especially has done a great job considering his age (13) and they say old dogs cant learn new tricks. Its all about getting the dog used to the animal as being just another part of the environment. Dont give the dog or the animal any attention when they are together just go about your business like there's nothing out of the ordinary (obviously things would start off with the dog being restrained or the animal behind a cage). If it looks like the dog is showing a little too much attention to the animal just distract it.

Eventually the dog will just accept the animal as being part of the family and go about their own business.

Now being raised with the animal since a puppy, that's a totally different story. When i got Pixie as a puppy i had a guinea pig named Kiarah, i swear Pixie was the same size as her back then! Well anyway as mentioned being a puppy she sometimes got a bit too excited and full on, she tried to chase Kiarah once and she imediately turned around and gave Pixie a nip right on the nose. Kiarah put her in her place right from the get go and from then on Pixie respected her they grew to be incredibly close.

Edited by Jimmay

it can be done!!!

bigger rabbits are better, mre intimidating, but smaller dogs ive found are more tolerant.

dot in the pics is a whippet x from the pound -very high bunny drive, but supervision was the key and a bit like cats, any unwanted interest was quiclky reprimaded. still wouldnt totally trust her unsupervised though.

post-12170-1219655339_thumb.jpg

post-12170-1219655360_thumb.jpg

Guest Willow
Ive converted my dogs (JRT crosses) from having full prey drive wanting to kill my chooks etc. (like they'd literally be shaking with anticipation, and have actually killed my neighbours chooks in the past) to being fully trusted around them (supervised of course) without a single worry,

that's awesome...well done!!! :) ;) :party: