Crate Training

Teebs

Anyone got a good write up on how and why to crate train a pup? SIL has agreed to do this with their new pup :( This is their first dog and i am trying to get a heap of info together for her!

Also - Does anyone have info on why a pup should stay with its litter mates till 8 weeks? She was asking me why, i told her what i know, but would like to send her something that she can read.

Thanks!!

Anyone got a good write up on how and why to crate train a pup? SIL has agreed to do this with their new pup :( This is their first dog and i am trying to get a heap of info together for her!

Also - Does anyone have info on why a pup should stay with its litter mates till 8 weeks? She was asking me why, i told her what i know, but would like to send her something that she can read.

Thanks!!

Hey TB

I have just put the puppy portfolios together for my housemates puppies that have just left and put some articles in there on crate training- would you like the links??

http://www.wolfweb.com.au/acd/cratetraining.htm

www.ddfl.org/behavior/crate-train.pdf

I just found this as well.

http://www.k9events.com/pups1.html

hope this helps

=)

Peri

Anyone got a good write up on how and why to crate train a pup? SIL has agreed to do this with their new pup :laugh: This is their first dog and i am trying to get a heap of info together for her!

Thanks!!

We have crate-trained Geordie and love it. How we did it: set up a crate in the loungeroom, barricaded off half of it (I read somewhere that if you give the pup too much space it will wee at one end and sleep at the other), and encouraged her in there with treats. At night we'd take her out for her final wee, then put her straight in ther no fuss lights out, then we'd go to bed. After a couple of days she started going in there herself when she was tired!

The best thing about the crate is that she's only ever had 1 accident in there (and that was when we foolishly removed the barricade too soon!) and when we duck out to the shops or go out at night we can lock her in there and know she's happy, warm and safe.

As for staying with their littermates, I think it teaches them manners and how to interact with other dogs. They learn a lot from their littermates, e.g. biting hurts, rough play means you won't be liked and other dogs are fun not scary... there's probably other reasons that others will tell you.

Edited by je33ie