Foster Pup Eating Rocks

Not something to encourage that's for sure. If she doesn't pass them she will no doubt eventually need surgery to remove them. Rock eaters also tend to damage their teeth.

Maybe confine her to a rock free area. She may well grow out of it if she has no access to them.

Although some 'pooh pooh' the idea, I have known pups and dogs who have ingested rocks, stones and earth the cause of which was an apparent dietary deficiency (ie minerals). A change of diet could be in order - even if the one this pup is on is good, it might not be the right one for this pup to absorb what he needs. I have known of some people who have added mineral water to their dog's meal and noticed a reduction if not resolve from "pica" behaviour (eg. eating stones). If this produces results it is a fairly easy indicator that diet is indeed the culprit and needs to be addressed.

Of course there are other possible reasons for the behaviour - apart from the above it could have come from natural exploration or boredom or a combination of each and from there has become a learnt behaviour. As written above, it is a behaviour definitely to be discouraged and the cause addressed, as ingesting stones, rocks etc. can have dire if not fatal outcomes. I agree that pup needs to be kept in a rock free area. Not only for safety/health reasons but also so that any 'learnt behaviour' component does not become even more ingrained than it already might be.

Edited by Erny

Yikes!!! Not a good habit to have :laugh: I'd try to discourage Ellie. Try not to make a big deal of it otherwise it may also become an attention seeking behaviour.

Can Ellie be kept away from the area with the rocks or can the rocks be removed? Muzzling may have to be an option. A friend's dog (Irish Setter) years ago had to be muzzled at the beach because she ate stones and had had several very expensive and life-threatening surgeries.

Erny's suggestion about diet is a good one.