Puppy And Kitty Litter

Melissa4

My new puppy seems to enjoy sitting in the kitty litter.

When we first got him, he liked to crunch it (it is crystal litter) and he'd even swallow it.

I would tell him "No" in a firm, but not overly firm tone and he would stop. Now he has completely stopped, however...

He will now just go and plonk himself in the litter whenever I am near it.... and will even bring a toy in there with him... It has slowed in the past week, but he still does it occasionally..

Any Ideas at all on why he likes to do this? Also, how can it be prevented, if at all?

Thanks

Personally I keep dogs quite separate from the kitty litter for a couple of reasons: firstly, you don't want your pup getting in the habit of eating the litter OR eating the droppings and secondly, it can be stressful enough for a cat to have to put up with a new puppy and even more so if the cat doesn't feel comfortable using his or her litter tray. This can lead to inappropriate toileting issues and spraying - I have the litter tray in a room that Zig is never allowed access to - we use a couple of chairs to prevent him and to allow the cats easy access, or you could try a baby gate.

As to why? Because he can :thumbsup:

I would keep an eye on your pup if he eats it again.. crystal litter is made up of silica gel and is designed to absorb stuff, so you would probably want to give some puppy milk to encourage it to drink it up to prevent any issues.

Edited by kyliegirl

My dog was mad about eating cat poo when she was very young, we bought a baby gate and blocked off the laundry so the cats could jump over it but Kyra couldn't get in. We still use it and haven't had any problems. :thumbsup:

Guest june.andnovas

Is the tray a normal oldschool one, open top aswell?

I would recommend upgrading to one with a hood, litter stays in ... dog stays out. We had the same troubles wih our lap dog, would always do the traying cleaning for me, nice in a way.

Switched to a covered tray and problem is now gone.

Hopefully your dog isn't too interested in poop that he still gets in!

random note - my cat and kitty also use the same tray .. provide an extra one but no thank you!