Tracking Info

hilaryo

I would love to try tracking with my beagles.

Any information about what is involved and where in Brisbane it is held would be great.

:laugh:

I track with All Breeds Tracking Club - their main competition venue is at Tamborine. There is also Evergreen Tracking Club - whose main competition groups are at Tansey - to compete you need to go to a large property so it's not in Brisbane as such.

There are a few places or people that do training in and around the Brisbane area. Normally you find a judge, and join them in training sessions. I don't know anywhere that has set training sessions like an obedience club.

Where abouts are you in Brisbane - north or south?

I would love to try tracking with my beagles.

Any information about what is involved and where in Brisbane it is held would be great.

:laugh:

I track with All Breeds Tracking Club - their main competition venue is at Tamborine. There is also Evergreen Tracking Club - whose main competition groups are at Tansey - to compete you need to go to a large property so it's not in Brisbane as such.

There are a few places or people that do training in and around the Brisbane area. Normally you find a judge, and join them in training sessions. I don't know anywhere that has set training sessions like an obedience club.

Where abouts are you in Brisbane - north or south?

I'm East (Redlands) jinkispirit. Tamborine sounds good. Is there a website for your club or a contact number?

I train with jinkispirit (though I've been REALLY slack lately) so they'll give you all the info you need hilaryo. :laugh:

It's Molassessless's year next year! Her pups will be ready and raring to go!

I've got one more competition this year - which is the last one anyhow. Competitions run in the winter months - last one is last weekend in September - going for TD5 - so with fingers crossed TDX title - but we'll see!!

hilaryo, Secretary for All Breeds Tracking Club is Margaret Hobbs, you can contact her on - [email protected]

The past secretary (and a tracking judge) is Deb Summers, and you can contact her on - [email protected]

I know there is also a large number of people who do tracking in the Redlands Dog Obedience Club - Grant, the president does tracking with his GSD and Lorraine Edwards, trainer, does tracking with her Aussies, and the Butlers who are involved with the club, track with their GSD. - so they could also help if you are in that obedience club?

:D Thanks for the info.

I don't do obedience with the beagles although that's not to say they don't need it :cheer:

Although it is the end of the season I will contact the secretary Margaret about what I need to do to prepare for next year - cause I don't have a clue. One of my dogs is food obsessed and the other is cat and other animals sniffing mad. So I don't know how they would go at tracking human scent if there are other smells about that that are more interesting...but we'll give it a go.

I've got one more competition this year - which is the last one anyhow. Competitions run in the winter months - last one is last weekend in September - going for TD5 - so with fingers crossed TDX title - but we'll see!!

Wow - good luck!!!! :laugh:

:D Thanks for the info.

I don't do obedience with the beagles although that's not to say they don't need it :cheer:

Although it is the end of the season I will contact the secretary Margaret about what I need to do to prepare for next year - cause I don't have a clue. One of my dogs is food obsessed and the other is cat and other animals sniffing mad. So I don't know how they would go at tracking human scent if there are other smells about that that are more interesting...but we'll give it a go.

Wow - good luck!!!! :laugh:

You start by you or your partner - someone the dog knows really well, goes out for about 20 metres. Another person has the dog (dog has a harness - requirement is a 10 metre lead but to start with a short lead). The allow the dog to watch you walk away and at the last minute they turn the dog away. The then (immediately after you hide), let the dog follow your track. Everytime, the dog puts his nose to the ground is when they reward the dog. Teh first couple of tracks are doing to be slow until the dog works out what he is doing.

some people also train, with you going out putting food on every footstep - to get the dog to keep to the actual track. And each track, you remove the food - every couple of steps etc. I haven't trained that way, but have watched tracking videos where they do it that way.

Article training - in the track, the dog has to acknowledge articles - these are the size of working socks but can be old jeans or material cut up in squares. Dark colours to blend in to the ground. Anyway, you can start playing fetch with these articles, to get the dogs interested in them. Or drop them, with a bit of food in them and get the dog to find them. They soon learn to love them! In a competition, the dog has to acknowledge them and the more they do it the better marks. So picking the article up, sitting or dropping are the best ways. So slowly getting your dog to do this is something you can start on.

Hope that helps and thanks for the well wishes.