New Pup With Older Dog

Roach

We have recently (yesterday) bought home a new baby, a 12 week old Staffy named Darmah, she is beautliful... Our 8 year old Sheppard named Nikki and her get along really well... We want to take Darmah to Puppy Pre School but I was wondering what age you start at and what the chances of them being able to do it together were? We dont want Nik to get upset with Darmah going off in the car and play group without her.. Dont get me wrong, Nik doesnt need pre school, she has the most wonderful nature and brilliant personallity, we just dont want to cause upset with the two of them... where one goes, we all go..

I'd strongly recommend you rethink the "we all do everything together" vow. What's going to happen down the track when Nikki passes on and Darmah has never spent a moment without her? You're building a potential problem there.

Take Darmah to preschool on her own. It will do her good, Nikki wouldn't be allowed anyway and think about doing some things with each dog alone on a regular basis.

If you want Darmah to bond to you, and not just Nikki, you're going to have to separate them at times. I expect Nikki will also appreciate a regular break from the attentions of a 12 week old puppy..

Edited by poodlefan

I'd suggest the pup off to obedience and the older dog to be taken out for a nice walk or some one on one time with whoever is at home ( I'm assuming we means partner ).

Staffords can form very deep bonds with not just their human but with other dogs and they need to be learn that it's ok to be seperated from the pack for whatever reason.

I'd strongly recommend you rethink the "we all do everything together" vow. What's going to happen down the track when Nikki passes on and Darmah has never spent a moment without her? You're building a potential problem there.

Take Darmah to preschool on her own. It will do her good, Nikki wouldn't be allowed anyway and think about doing some things with each dog alone on a regular basis.

If you want Darmah to bond to you, and not just Nikki, you're going to have to separate them at times. I expect Nikki will also appreciate a regular break from the attentions of a 12 week old puppy..

I actually never thought of it that way.. I was only thinking that I have had Nik since she was 15 months old and have always taken her most places with us and didnt want her to be left out or made to feel left out.. Thank you for your input.. it makes alot of sence and I agree - as agile and energetic as Nik is, she will need a break. :thumbsup:

I'll get some photo's together shortly of the girls..

Thank you for your advise... I think Craig (partner) could benifit from a bit of pre school too... He has never been around puppies before and Nik loves her walks along the river..

Cheers! :thumbsup:

I have another question... :thumbsup:

I took Nikki in from a pretty horrific childhood, it took me a VERY long time for her to trust me. She's great with other animals (except our chickens) and loves people.. but one habit she had that I just cant seem to break is she burries her food... when she's had enough or doesnt want it straigh away she burries it all around the yard...

She burries my shoes if I leave them out, but I figured that was her way of telling me she wanted to come with me not be left at home... but the food thing has always concerned me. Is there something I can do about this given that she's now 8 years old?

Other than not leaving her with food to bury, not really.

It's just her way of storing things she values. One of my dogs does it too and he's had a happy upbringing.

Just canine storage techniques in action. We use drawers, they bury stuff.

Edited by poodlefan

Maybe not. I've had dogs with quirky habits while the other dogs seem to stare and shake their heads :)

I've also got a Staff baby and do admit to feeling guilty when I take her out and not my 5yr old Rotti. I usually give him a lovely bone or a walk before and they soon 'forgive' you. His reaction is the same whether we've been out all day or just collecting the mail out front :laugh:

Definitely take pup out without adult. I had noticed my pup was always looking at my Rotti for guidance when we were out and would follow him rather than come to me when called so I cut back together time and she's improved vastly.

Our eldest shepherd buries nice fresh meaty bones we give her, then she steals one of the other sheps bones and eats that. She is the alpha dog, so I guess she thinks it is her right to steal the others bones. I have seen the other female go and dig it back up a little while later and go and chomp on it later.

Like Poodlefan, I don't think Niki's behaviour is from her puppyhood, it is just something some dogs do. Kind of like how some people open a packet of chocolate biscuits in the fridge but turn the packet around so no one knows it is open so they can eat them all themselves. :laugh:

Darmah found one of Nik's bones yesterday afternoon burried under the boat, Nik was quite happy to wait until the little one was sone with it. :( We have found that Darmah does seem to follow Nik rather than respond to calls or commands..(as with Clyde's baby) so we have ellected to leave nik on her rug in the house while we try to teach Darmah. Nik does like the time alone. Nik tends to seperate us from Darmah if a gruff voice is used, she walks between us, so it's easier to leave her to have some peice and quiet inside. The little darlings have been playing of the night time after we go to bed, it normally starts about 3am. :laugh: