Biting Puppy!

crazy_puppy

I have a 11 week old border collie and he's absolutely adorable but he simply will not stop biting!!I think its a combination of him teething and wanting attention. I know all puppies play bite and all that but his biting can be quite painful and its getting to the point where I cannot spend time with him. I cannot pet him or sit next to him etc without him biting me or anyone else for that matter. I can't seem to get him to understand that its something hes not allowed to do.

Another major concern is that I have two cats. Althought they are not too happy about it, they have finally accepted that he's part of the family now. He tries to play with them but they're just too scared of this hyperactive,barking, tail waggaig thing that chases them everytime I'm not looking. Even IF the cats get used to him more and want to play with him, I'm afraid he's going to end up hurting them because of his constant biting.

He has a lot of toys: the big rawhide chew bones in different sizes, rubber toys, kongs, balls, the rope bone things and I keep alternating between them so he doesnt get bored. When he's inside the house ( he's outside during work hours) he is always kept on a leash, which he doesn't seem to mind. This was to help with his toilet training (which has is working quite well) and so that he couldn't chase the cats. Taking him off the leash is something I definitely don;t want to stop until he is completely toilet trained and learns to be gentle with the cats.

PLEASE if any one has any suggestions I'm all ears! I;ve tried what seems like everything but maybe I'm not doing it right.

I've tried to re direct his attention to biting a toy....saying a firm NO everytime....yelp when he bites (which gets him even more nippy at times) and putting him in time out (the laundry) everytime he bites which is the only thing that might be working a little. Please help!

Is he getting much excersice? I remember when I had a Kelpie she used to nip a bit (including the ankles of my other pets) and this was due to her not getting enough excersise (because she needed ALOT) Border collies are similar and the main thing to attention seeking I have found is excersice.

You can always say "No" which I know you have already done - however say NO tap him on the nose and then give him a toy and as soon as he puts his teeth on it say "goooood boy" in a high pitched long tone (My pups love that)

Yelling OW (get him used to the word) and then igorning him until he licks or calms down seemed to work for me aswell.

Have you tried Denta bones and pig ears? They are always great teething toys and dogs love them.

Don't forget cats have claws for a reason - my pup soon learnt his lesson - next to no claws but it worked. A quick swipe even without claws may teach him if he hurts them.

Keep me updated on your progress. :(

Mel

From another thread:

yup two methods I use

- grab the pups muzzle and gently curl the lips in and press into the teeth. Smarts for a little and the dog will whinge and carry on. Release when puppy gets the point and ignore

- if the pup launches at you again after this (standing) turn to it, look into its face and growl loudly (I mean VERY loundly) GGRRRR NO and stamp your foot (not on said puppy)

- if puppy grabs your pants/arm etc calmly reach down, place your thumb under its tongue and apply slight pressure until the puppy starts whining and again gets idea

if you are on the floor and the pup attacks your face (oooh the little rat!) grab it by a big handful of scruff and simply pin it to the floor until it gives up its temper tantrum. And be prepared for a temper tantrum if its already in a silly mood.

I dont use food etc because biting is a life lesson, not a trick for me. Dogs should not have to be provided with a reward or incentive for the simple fact they dont take a chunk out of you. As Cosmolo said a lot of people can redirect to a toy and the dog thinks 'oh I bite I get a toy'. These methods also teach your dog long term as you really give the dog a black and white understanding - NEVER BITE.

And I quote myself :( you need to teach your dog calm behavior in the house. You already have him on a leash great I think you might be worrying a little too much. Cut the cats claws so they dont tear his eyeball (and yes catsd are good at this) and let them have a few swipes at him. If he goes in for the attack give him a little tug on the leash and say 'GRRRR NO' them move him away from the cats until he's settled.

If you havnt bought a crate already invest in one they are great tools for house training puppies.

I feel your pain, my aussie shepherd is much the same.

We got her at 11 weeks and she was terrible with the biting from then until the last week or so (she's 15 weeks now).

We were trying everything, yelping, No, giving her a toy, time out and felt like nothing was working, however just over the last week her biting has slowly turned into licking, she'll look as if she's about to launch but instead of biting as she used to do, she'll lick instead. I found growling or saying no didn't help much it just got her more worked up and one thing that worked for me was after she had learnt sit, I could say sit when she was biting and she would do so and stop.

Now its not perfect, as in the post above if I'm on the floor at her level she will launch at me and try and bite my nose, if she does this she gets put in the laundry straight away for a few minutes and when she comes back in she is a lot calmer...anyway just letting you know that even though it feels like nothing is working, it will eventually, if you be consistent.

Good luck! :(