Halti Or Check Chain For Basic Training

Raven

Hmm pulling rottweiler eh - I wage $10 I can have the dog walking nicely in under 10 minutes :laugh:

Any ideas on how i can get my 5 month old staffy walking on a lead she just sits or laysdown and wont move at all. getting all sorts of advice from just keep walking and drag her behind you. To stop and wait until shes ready to walk. Have always loved walking my last 2 dogs ( boxers ) but this aint much fun.

I wouldnt drag - you get an opposition response from the dog. Dont use a corrective chain and start in your front yard. It can also help if the dog is not fed at all for the day except this time. Leave the leash on the dog and walk away then encourage the dog to follow you - feed a little bit. Repeat until you get closer to the fence and gradually pick up the leash.

Now the trick is to act like a loony. Yep. High pitched, and tempt her with her favourite toys and food. When she is rip rearing to go then run out with her onto the footpath and then run back - increase her fun a little at a time until you have her going on the footpath (oh and hold the leash when you're out on the footpath!)

Conversely another dog you could borrow that is a highly enthusiastic, dare I say even a little out of control, could do the trick too. Let them play outside in the yard then run out onto the footpath with the other dog - the staffy will probably follow.

Dont make it look like a set up

dont get upset or disheartened

dont get angry at the dog - the only things to come out of you are embaressing squeaky noises

yes you will be labelled a mad person by your neighbours but do it for the dog ... think of the dog *sniff*