Partially Torn Dew Claw

Hey all,

Last night Lil tore her dew claw when running through some bushes (or something) while we were out walking. It's not torn off, but is hanging at a funny angle and appears to be quite sore- she yipped when she lay on it funny last night and has been limping a little (though it hasn't stopped her jumping all over Scrimp, unsuprisingly).

It's not bleeding, so I'm in two minds as to whether I should leave it, bandage it, trim it or...?

I thought if I bandaged it it might sit flatter and reduce the risk of catching on something- having said that she may just pull the bandage off, so that'd be kinda pointless.

I could trim it, but I was also concerned about giving the nail an edge that might catch on something?

Any thoughts?

Trim it for sure. It will relieve the discomfort immediately.

I would then bathe it in a mild salt water solution (saline) and if there is much tissue exposed at all or of the dog is licking at it I place a light bandage once the leg is completely dry.

1 - 2 days healing time and it should be all better. If you notice anything indicating a possible infection (redness, swelling, pus etc) obviously call your vet :laugh: .

Edited by lucknow

Book her in with the vets to have it removed. If you are unable to yank it out yourself and the vet is unable to then she probably will need to spend the day there to be sedated so they can remove it.

If you don't remove it it will get infected, continue to get caught on things, and will never grow back properly.

Just had one of my pug boys back toe nails removed as he caught in in the door and fractured one side of it. Of course it was to painful for myself, if I could have I would have yanked it out myself, or the vet just to yank out so he had to be sedated and stay at the vets for the day. $130 later he had had the most expensive manicure I have ever payed for.

ETS: It was not a dew claw but a back toe nail that my puggy had to have removed.

Edited by puggy_puggy

Guest june.andnovas

our English Pointer had dew claw trouble. ripped it half off and lots of blood and pain. in the end it was removed and she was banaged for about two weeks!

think she healed it up the first time but then damaged it again. so maybe better to have it taken off. don't know why they aren't taken off all pups, pointless claws aren't they?

Well, I tried trimming it and she yipped in pain. It's sitting at a funny angle (like, right out from her leg) and it hurts to touch.

So, I dunno. :laugh:

Time for the vets so they can remove it. Otherwise it will become infected.

I usually home treat, medicate most things when it come to my pugs because I believe that people rush off to their vets far to often. But for this you need a vet unless you can pull it yourself with a pair of tweezers.