Excessive Shedding

Hi,

A friend has my Elkhound's littermate. Yesterday she showed me how much her dog was shedding and if it was normal. I told her that what she brushed out of her dog in a day is the quantity that I would get through brushing in a month, even in summer. Also, every time I petted him, a lot of undercoat seemed to stick to my hand.

The only difference bwteen the two dogs is that while my dogs have access to the yard through a dog door, they have access to part of the house all the time and tend to stay inside when they are not playing. Whereas this other dog is an outside dog and stays inside only when the owners are home. Stays out during the night too. Sleeps in the balcony. But seems healthy and active. Any advice/suggestions on the difference in their shedding volume?

I would say it's a simple case of the dog blowing it's coat now that spring is upon us. It's triggered by the amount of sunlight the dog recieves.

Being that your friends dog spends most of it's time outside it would be recieveing more sunlight than your dogs who spend the majority of their time inside. It's quite common for a dog to blow all of it's undercoat and be 'bald' for a few weeks, also don't be alarmed if the dog starts blowing the guard hairs too, again, completely normal :thumbsup:

Edited by aquaticmalamute