Too Much Dried Liver Can Kill.

Ashka

Just heard that a beautiful Cavalier in NZ died after helping himself to dried liver. The iron in the liver caused him to go into shock and he died of toxic poisoning.

Please be careful:

RIP Harley ~ CH DRAKKAR LOADS OF PIZZAZZ

I use dried liver as training treats for my 3 month old cavalier. Now I'm worried... maybe I should change treats?

I wonder how much is too much? She probably gets 2-3 fifty cent sized pieces per day (broken up).

No need to panic - that amount will be fine. It she ate the entire bag...that may be a different story. :)

dont panic - the dog would have had to have ingested a rediculous amount or had a condition that predisposed him to illness.

Liver contains high amounts of Vitamin A (retinol) which can kill. Hence people who consume carnivores do NOT eat the livers as their retinol level is much higher then that in herbivores.

Iron poisoning is not that common either and again the dog could have had a pre-existing illness or already had elevated iron levels before ingestion.

This is rare and my large dogs have had quite large amounts of dry liver without ill effects. The first for both Vit A and Iron overdose is stomach irritation and a lot of vomiting as the stomach tries to get rid of it quickly.

I use dried liver as training treats for my 3 month old cavalier. Now I'm worried... maybe I should change treats?

I wonder how much is too much? She probably gets 2-3 fifty cent sized pieces per day (broken up).

No need to panic - that amount will be fine. It she ate the entire bag...that may be a different story. :)

Thats good to hear... had me worried :mad

dont panic - the dog would have had to have ingested a rediculous amount or had a condition that predisposed him to illness.

Liver contains high amounts of Vitamin A (retinol) which can kill. Hence people who consume carnivores do NOT eat the livers as their retinol level is much higher then that in herbivores.

Iron poisoning is not that common either and again the dog could have had a pre-existing illness or already had elevated iron levels before ingestion.

This is rare and my large dogs have had quite large amounts of dry liver without ill effects. The first for both Vit A and Iron overdose is stomach irritation and a lot of vomiting as the stomach tries to get rid of it quickly.

Thanks, that's good to know. Poor little pup who died of it though. :)